PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

To anyone who is still waiting for a response from ND, here's an explanation of my own situation from the DGS.

"We have a very short list of officially wait-listed candidates . . . as well as another list of excellent

applicants who could move on to the wait list immediately if others withdraw from consideration.

You are currently at the very top of the second list, and so not formally wait-listed but still under

serious consideration: you are an excellent candidate and we would be happy to extend you an offer

if we had the resources to do so. . . If we are able to add you officially to the waiting list, I will

e-mail you at once to let you know."

So, in other words, there's a waitlist to get onto the waitlist.

:lol:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This unofficial waitlist nonsense from so many schools is nuts! But, on a positive note, I've just completed 10 months of research for my thesis and gotten some incredible results! Not having the application season I was hoping for has made me somewhat bitter so I am VERY excited to have something go my way! Too bad I finished this research after submitting my writing samples but, hey, at least I can use them next year if things don't work out! :D

The ND situation sounds to me (and I am not there and don't know anyone there, so this is just a guess) less like a waitlist for a waitlist, and more like plans to balance a cohort after the results of their first offers are known. Some departments like to do this to ensure subfield representation.

The ND situation sounds to me (and I am not there and don't know anyone there, so this is just a guess) less like a waitlist for a waitlist, and more like plans to balance a cohort after the results of their first offers are known. Some departments like to do this to ensure subfield representation.

Yes, my subfield is theory, and the email mentioned that I was waiting for a spot specifically on the theory waitlist. So my situation won't be helped even if a lot of IR or Americanist students turn down their offers; there would have to be some movement on the theory waitlist. The situation looks bleak.

Yes, my subfield is theory, and the email mentioned that I was waiting for a spot specifically on the theory waitlist. So my situation won't be helped even if a lot of IR or Americanist students turn down their offers; there would have to be some movement on the theory waitlist. The situation looks bleak.

I think a lot of programs are doing that this year to make sure the small number they do admit are balanced between the subfields. I know Michigan is doing the same (but with only one waitlist) and I've heard Minnesota is as well.

Hey, me too! I wrote to the Grad Assistant to ask when they'll know about funding. What's your sub-area?

Edit: Nevermind, I just answered my own question.

Ah, good for you! I was wondering how long I should wait before asking about funding. Will you share what you find out? And can I ask your sub-field?

Well that's my year done - rejection from Princeton WWS. Time to book in for another GRE and start raising funds to reapply next year :(

Sorry fenderpete. I had the same experience last year, but I think my life turned out better for it. Cold comfort, I know.

If funding doesn't come through for me at my schools, I'm considering reapplying in a year or two. It's discouraging, but every year of experience/education makes us more competitive the next time around, right?

Well that's my year done - rejection from Princeton WWS. Time to book in for another GRE and start raising funds to reapply next year :(

Sorry to hear fenderpete. I hope that misery loves company, because you're not the only one. I struck out at thirteen programs total...and I have pretty good stats (3.5u, 3.7g, 720v/730q/6w).

Such a glass-half-empty outlook. :lol: The fact that no discernable wait lists have been distributed yet is comforting. But the sheer number of people who haven't heard bodes ill. More "beheadings" will occur this week.

Ha...yeah, I know. I'm just thinking about the fact that so many people on this board haven't heard anything yet...schools do small waitlists. It doesn't make sense that we'd all be waitlisted. I'm expecting the guillotine drops by the end of the week. I'd love to be wrong, but it just doesn't make sense otherwise, even though this does follow last year's pattern for the waitlisted.

Ha...yeah, I know. I'm just thinking about the fact that so many people on this board haven't heard anything yet...schools do small waitlists. It doesn't make sense that we'd all be waitlisted. I'm expecting the guillotine drops by the end of the week. I'd love to be wrong, but it just doesn't make sense otherwise, even though this does follow last year's pattern for the waitlisted.

Always happy to provide "gallows" humor.

Ah, good for you! I was wondering how long I should wait before asking about funding. Will you share what you find out? And can I ask your sub-field?

Hmm, apparently funding decisions have already been made. If your letter didn't include the info, it's cause you didn't get any.

Oh well, no MU for me.

Sorry to hear it, fenderpete... Take comfort in the fact that you're not alone. A lot of us aren't happy about how this season has worked out. :)

Always happy to provide "gallows" humor.

i'm tempted to reference blazing saddles, but i'll resist.

i called up GSAS today,they hope to get everything online by the end of the week. in terms of waitlists, they didn't know - they thought the departments emailed all admits and waitlists, but didn't know if this actually happened with each department. who knows what's happening...last year, seems like people were told all admits and waitlists were all contacted by early march, but people who actually got waitlist info in mid-march never heard anything before that point. whatever.

I'm seriously thinking about calling up JHU. I see there has been some acceptances and rejections. Anyone has inside scoop on JHU? Are they done? Do they have a wait list?

TBH I'm most annoyed about all the time/effort/money I put in this year - I know I could probably have really nailed my GPA last semester without the application distraction, and now I might have slipped down in terms of ranking within my year as a result. Most disappointing, I know my undergrad dissertation won't be as strong as it could have been... :(

Time to start applying to backup choices with a lot more fervour... internships here I come (hopefully).

I talked to a couple people who got into Northwestern at another visit this week and they were told they were only planning on admitting three or four more people. 17-20 people have been admitted.

Ha! Anyone else get a second rejection from Vanderbilt today? I guess they thought my file so was crappy, it needed to be rejected TWICE, just to make sure it didn't rise up and try and seek admittance again.....

Also, can I get some PMs from UGA folks?

I know GW has already notified their funded admits, which sucks for me beacuse I really need the $.

Are we still expecting a wave of admits?

As for American, according to the big board, last year they didn't notify until around the 20th or so, I believe.

But, with respect to GW, am I wrong to be expecting a notification any day?

Bye-bye Johns Hopkins. E-mailed the DGS. Got a no. :|

E-mailed Northwestern. Over 400 applicants this year. First round of admits have been made. They are waiting to see the yield to make a second round of admits. Offers might start going out as soon as this week.

I wonder why it is that I'm literally the only one that has been rejected from Northwestern already. They're acting like they haven't made any rejections from what everyone on here is saying.

Has anyone else yet been rejected from NW this cycle?