PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

BigCheese wrote:

Anyone waiting for georgetown?

I heard on Friday afternoon. Accepted. It's my dream program. In fact, it's the only reason I applied to grad schools in the first place. I only applied elsewhere to hedge my bets :).

Those who haven't heard probably shouldn't panic. I'm only going for a Master's (focus in American Government), so PhD folks shouldn't give up hope, I don't think.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, who's decided where they're going?

I'm about 95% decided about where I'm going, but there's still the outside chance I won't be going anywhere if the details (ex. selling my house in a crap market and my husband finding a job in a slightly less crap but still crap market) don't work themselves out.

plisar said:
Officially in at UW-Seattle, with a first year fellowship.

They only admitted seven people this year out of 220. Wow...what a bad year to apply to grad school.

Would like to know how you know that? Did admissions tell you that?

Still waiting for University of Washington here, and as many others have mentioned, I can't see why it takes so long to put out a rejection, if that is what I am getting.

Thx and congrats.

Is there a way of checking your status online for Georgetown or Brown?

I'm not sure if Georgetown notifies through the online status check or not (you should have had a pin sent to you when you set up your account?) - it seems like most of the results have come through emails though. I really hope we hear (one way or the other) from Georgetown and GW this week....at least then I can start the decision-making process.

here's a question: is anyone the brown admit on the results page? should we assume that they contacted all those who were accepted already?

That's a good question!

I suspect that (unless it's a tiny, tiny intake this year - not beyond the realms of possibility...) Brown hasn't finished making its calls. They've done it over several days, traditionally.

But I will say that if you haven't heard by... say... end of business Wednesday, then it's probably game over.

Does that sound reasonable?

Of course, it would be most helpful if the board's one confirmed Brown acceptee would step forward...

Would like to know how you know that? Did admissions tell you that?

Still waiting for U Wash here, and as many others have mentioned, I can't see why it takes so long to put out a rejection, if that is what I am getting.

Thx and congrats.

MJSpice, yes, those of us who have been admitted received an e-mail from the Political Science department. It was a fairly personalized e-mail with each person receiving a different financial aid package (or a wait list for aid). I hope this helps.

Plisar

So I finally made my way to poliscijobrumors.com and was trolling through the questions by graduate students section. I am shocked by how snarky and MEAN a lot of the responses are to what I consider legitimate questions! I realize this bitterness represents a small portion of the whole, but I really wish we could peel back the anonymity there so I can avoid the departments where those rotten apples are...

So I finally made my way to poliscijobrumors.com and was trolling through the questions by graduate students section. I am shocked by how snarky and MEAN a lot of the responses are to what I consider legitimate questions! I realize this bitterness represents a small portion of the whole, but I really wish we could peel back the anonymity there so I can avoid the departments where those rotten apples are...

Yup- you need a fairly evolved snarkometer to really get anything out of it.

MJSpice, yes, those of us who have been admitted received an e-mail from the Political Science department. It was a fairly personalized e-mail with each person receiving a different financial aid package (or a wait list for aid). I hope this helps.

Plisar

I was asking about the 7 out of 220 number. They told you that?

Intapp001 wrote: I really hope we hear (one way or the other) from Georgetown and GW this week....at least then I can start the decision-making process.

For what it's worth, Heard GW would be sending word in "mid-March." Friend from another college applied and sent an e-mail asking about it.

Thanks for the info...this week might be a quiet one for me.

i was told that georgetown admission committee met for the last time on Friday... so i'm hoping that means we will hear today or sometime this week. anyone else with georgetown info?

So has anyone heard anything from Northwestern? It seems like there's still a lot of people who haven't gotten word from them one way or another.

Still waiting away, though as you can see from my signature, I'm assuming no news is bad news at this point. After reading back over the results for 2008 and 2007, it seems like the NW department is one of those lovely ones that leaves rejects (aka their unofficial wait-list) hanging forever. Maybe I'm wrong (it's happened exactly once before), as I'm not too skilled at the game of speculation we've all been engaged in for the past month.

In other news, I'm a total glutton for punishment. I finally decided to contact the department at Michigan to receive my rejection definitively. I emailed and they haven't responded back yet, but I figured a rejection would be a fine way to start the week!

Re: Georgetown

I heard they are really bad about funding. But if it's the best place I get into, it will be hard to borrow all that money knowing I could have gone somewhere else with a better financial aid package. I have an email from a prof there saying my GRE scores "should be good enough to get you in." But that was months ago and this process is not going well for me.

But.... back to reality... I have no acceptances as yet.

To the MIT admit who got the Fedex today: Where do you live? In Europe? (Refusing to give up hope)

I live in South Korea. Got the packet about 11 in the morning. (EST +9:00)

I wouldn't give up hope too soon, I'll have my fingers crossed for you! :)