PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Georgetown is probably done. They did the same thing last year. They contact the

few that they are going to fund(their top choices: not many since their

resources are pretty limited. Why, I never understood.) earlier in the process,

and also those that are wait-listed for funding, and then send out mass

e-mails to those that aren't receiving support(at least their first year).

So it's just not the 25, but the 15 or so that they have contacted previously.

Admittances to 40+ doesn't sound so outrageous, considering the state of

things.

I just wish they would tell you if you are not getting in as well! Thought that I had a really nice fit there.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Georgetown question:

When I emailed a prof there in December stating my intention to apply and that I'd recently taken the GRE, I mentioned my scores and he emailed back, "Good work on the GRE. That should be enough to get in... I will look for your application."

Should I contact this professor to check on my status? Or just wait it out?

Georgetown question:

When I emailed a prof there in December stating my intention to apply and that I'd recently taken the GRE, I mentioned my scores and he emailed back, "Good work on the GRE. That should be enough to get in... I will look for your application."

Yes; ask if he "found" it.

I hope the admits were just from one subfield, perhaps comparitive or IR... That place is a PhD factory compared to the programs that enroll 5 or 6 people a year.

But the number of unfunded enrollees is staggering. I don't know how people afford this. After a bachelor's and a master's, who is going to borrow $100,000-$150,000 to spent 5 years and get a teaching job? I'd think more people would just borrow the $100k, go to law school, and make 3 times what we'll make coming out. But I guess none of us would be here if it was about the money. Still...

From Georgetown's website http://government.georgetown.edu/57323.html

PhD Admissions Statistics (2007)

Total PhD Applicants: 696

American Government - 68

Comparative Government - 245

International Relations - 296

Political Theory - 87

Total Admitted PhDs: 85

American Government - 17

Comparative Government - 28

International Relations - 27

Political Theory - 13

Total Enrolling PhDs: 28

American Government - 7

Comparative Government - 10

International Relations - 7

Political Theory - 4

Total Funded PhDs: 10

American Government - 3

Comparative Government - 3

International Relations - 2

Political Theory - 2

Admitted PhD Applicant Statistics

*Average GRE scores - 673 Verbal, 709 Quantitative, 5.5 (out of 6) *Analytical Writing

*Average GPA - 3.7

*Average TOEFL - 274 (ETOEFL); 112 (ITOEFL)

*Male to Female Ratio - 51:34 (60% men and 40% women)

*Average age (at time of application): 27 years

*Number of International Students admitted: 12 (18%)

*Average years of work experience: 5 years

I'd think more people would just borrow the $100k, go to law school, and make 3 times what we'll make coming out.

With the current state of the legal hiring market, and based on the experiences of my classmates, I'm not sure law school's such a great Plan B.

With the current state of the legal hiring market, and based on the experiences of my classmates, I'm not sure law school's such a great Plan B.

Good point. Problem is, at this point, in my case I'm not sure this is turning out to be such a good Plan A...

To the UC Davis poster:

This just has to be a way or rejecting everyone, but letting them know it's going to take the graduate school the rest of the week to post results onto your account. Probably those who have been rejected have last names as the beginning of the alphabet, and those at the end of the alphabet will hear soon their rejection.

Georgetown question:

What was your GRE if you don't mind me asking?

What was your GRE if you don't mind me asking?

660V/620A/5.0AWA.... Way worse than their average, which is 673 Verbal, 709 Quantitative, 5.5 Analytical Writing

But since the prof emailed in December to say "I hope it works out that you can join us," and that my scores should be good enough to get in, I just kind of assumed that I would get in. This rejection would sting most because it's the best match to my interests.

660V/620A/5.0AWA.... Way worse than their average, which is 673 Verbal, 709 Quantitative, 5.5 Analytical Writing

But since the prof emailed in December to say "I hope it works out that you can join us," and that my scores should be good enough to get in, I just kind of assumed that I would get in. This rejection would sting most because it's the best match to my interests.

Me thinks:

"That should be enough to get in..." == "Good enough to be looked at and possibly admitted"

"That should be enough to get in..." != "Auto-admit"