PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't suppose anyone else here applied to Minnesota- Twin Cities? It's the only place I applied that I have yet to hear anything about. Seems like everywhere else has made their initial offers by now.

I'm still waiting on Minnesota, too. No clue what's going on there.

i was also curious if many people emailed professors about their interests earlier...so they fight for you in the admissions committee.

I got mixed advice about this, and ended up not contacting anyone at any of the departments because I really didn't have anything substantive to ask them. It worked out ok.

Hey all,

So what's the deal with MIT Polisci phd? someone mentioned 9% of 300 applicants = almost 30 people admitted. For tose of you who have recieved phone calls -what diciplines did you apply for? Do they call everyone? I am doubtful I will get in, but won't give up hope yet...

Tufts Fletcher School PhD. Anyone know anything?

I got mixed advice about this, and ended up not contacting anyone at any of the departments because I really didn't have anything substantive to ask them. It worked out ok.

I contacted the advisors I'd like to work at at all three schools, and visited 2. But it didn't guarantee that I was accepted, as you can see from my results. It definitely feels worse to be rejected when you've had personal contact! I did it more for myself, though, because I was looking for something very specific. Also I knew I wouldn't have time to visit in March, due to work commitments (international travel).

Just checked with the grad secretary at Rutgers. Apparently they are not done with the admissions process. According to her, it is an on-going process. I don't know how many people have applied there, but I think you can keep your hopes alive.

I contacted the advisors I'd like to work at at all three schools, and visited 2. But it didn't guarantee that I was accepted, as you can see from my results. It definitely feels worse to be rejected when you've had personal contact! I did it more for myself, though, because I was looking for something very specific. Also I knew I wouldn't have time to visit in March, due to work commitments (international travel).

interesting...i guess if you have super credentials and/or more general interests, it wouldn't matter.

i wanted to do something very very specific. i wrote to a prof in a top5 school a few days back and he said i had a great proposal and would be my advisor, and then sent another email - oh you didn't get in, i was not in the committee this year. this makes me feel worse because i spent months thinking of a research idea and could have spent another 5 minutes writing an email so they at least knew that i applied.

I contacted the advisors I'd like to work at at all three schools, and visited 2. But it didn't guarantee that I was accepted, as you can see from my results. It definitely feels worse to be rejected when you've had personal contact!

Have you taken this more personally?

I'm not sure, since I didn't apply to any schools at which I didn't have personal contact with possible advisors. But I think that yes, it does feel more like a personal rejection, as in, "I thought she/he liked me!" But in the end you just can't take it personally, and have to assume that you were rejected because the competition was fierce, not because there was something lacking in your app. Or so I tell myself :) . Fortunately I have at least one other option (when oh when will I hear from the other???), so that helps with the sting.

Is anyone waiting on Brown U. They usually notify about this time. Any scuttle?

I'm waiting on Brown. Last year they notified accepted applicants by phone on the last Thursday of February. But I wonder whether their application deadline was as late last year as it is this year (February 2nd, 2009). Does anyone know?

Has anyone contacted the department today to see whether they're planning to notify at the same time this year as they did last year?