Ashburn, VA

seunghwane

• 1 month later...

Why would you ever be going to Ashburn? It's in northern VA, more or less associated with DC. The only thing I can think that's even out there is Redskins Park (training/practice facility for the Washington Redskins). It's also close to Dulles airport.

Are you looking to live there while going to school somewhere closer in to DC?

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up in Northern Virginia, and my parents currently live in Ashburn, so I can give you some insights.

Ashburn is about 30 miles west of Washington, DC, or about a 45-minute drive with no traffic. Most of it is relatively new due to an explosion of development in Loudoun County during recent years. I would consider it more of a bedroom community, rather than its own city. It's got plenty of strip malls, restaurants, a mall I think, but not much else going for it in my opinion. Basically, Ashburn and its component communities like Brambleton are where people who work in Reston or DC live because they want a bigger house for their money.

If you like life in the suburbs and being depedent on your car, you could be happy there. It's close enough to DC that you can escape to the city on the weekends. Depending on your opinion of the 'burbs, you might have to choose between living close to school and living close to everything else you'd want.

Hope that helps!