Kansas City Musicians

beccakephart

• 5 months later...

UMKC has a pretty good rep, but I'm really not super familiar with them. My only experience with their composers is from when one of their composition DMAs brought some ensemble to KU to play a bunch of Elliot Carter / faux Elliot Carter around a year ago, and I really hope that sort of thing isn't all they're up to in KC.

Composition professors at KU are pretty fantastic. You'll like them if you end up at KU. Barnes and Pierce are great, and I'm pretty sure Haaheim is cooler than most of the people I hang out with.

Hi kccur! I assume you went/go to KU? I had a brief Skype interview last week, I really really like the professors- I met with Darren McGee last summer and went to Forrest Pierce's recital a couple months ago. I am very much hoping I get in, I think it would be a perfect fit for me. I got rejected already by UMKC, I don't think my aesthetic or portfolio is what they are looking for (obviously).

Yup, finishing up theory and comp double BMs currently, now in the dual-state of grad applications and life-goals indecision/panic. McGee is a great guy. I was at that Pierce recital, that "Twelve Kisses" song cycle was really something, wasn't it?

I think KU is definitely more accepting of heavier pop/folk influences. Haaheim was actually a session bassist in San Francisco before he joined academia, Barnes has a strong jazz background, and Pierce definitely has some love for pop music influences as well. We have a DMA comp student right now whose background (I believe) is mostly African folk music. You'll definitely dig it if (hopefully, when) you get in.

Not that I really have a lot of experience elsewhere, but the KU music school is a really friendly, supportive community. I'm really impressed with the theory/comp faculty as well, all of them are really easy to work with.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

To find and meet local musicians in Kansas City you have to get together at Open Mic/Jam nights, play your music and jam with other musicians. Play solo or join with whole bands. Find those you seek to fill the vacant spots in your band, find a band to join or find members to form new bands. It is free to become a member of the group!