Dff

Hey!! I recently applied for a scholarship to get a Masters in Comparative Literature in the US. Now, I am also looking at Creative Writing programs (specially, the Masters in Professional Writing at USC) and I am really liking them. Does anyone know a program that combines literature academic classes with creative writing classes? Or a university that will allow me to take classes from both programs?

I really appreciate the help!!

Are you interested in creative writing programs or professional writing programs? They mean very different things (e.g., creative = poetry and fiction; professional writing = business and technical writing).

If the former, my program at the University of Cincinnati is one. You might look around at other PhD-granting creative writing programs (Poets & Writers just released a ranking earlier this week), as such a degree is usually a sign that they welcome creative-critical crossovers.

Edited by runonsentence

Thank you!! I didn't know they were different. The one at USC is called Masters in Professional Writing. I think that one is mostly fiction but also some technical writing. I am taking a look at Poets & Writers seems very interesting!! I will do some research on University of Cincinnati.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey runonsentence, could you link me to the Poets&Writers ranking you speak of?

This crossover sounds perfect for me, I'm simultaneously applying for phds and MFAs, completely undecided which one would be better for me. MFAs are the holy grail of higher education, but so expensive and so hard to get into. Phds are fully funded and yet they don't do much for my poetry skills...