Fine arts resume importance?

jldstudio

I know most MFA applications call for a resume of some kind, but what do they ultimately use it for? Is it of interest when it comes to considering funding or maybe if you get a TA spot or not? (I'm looking at sculpture programs in particular.)

Does it hurt you to have a lack of experience when it comes to shows? We had to work on our arts resume for a seminar class last semester and mine was woefully short. xD Most people in the class felt the same to be honest, but I worry that a lack of that kind of experience would make me seem.. insincere or not fully invested in being an artist. I finally feel more confident in where my newest work is going, so I definitely will try for more shows between now and application time. (I plan to apply fall 09)

I'm just curious about what other fine art applicants think about their resumes.

I just updated mine and still feel inadequate, though now it's over three pages long! Why? because I haven't had a solo show. So? At least I've been in group shows,right? Well, yes. But five years ago all I could say I was in was one group juried show and a couple of non juried shows. At that time I wanted more group shows.

What I'm trying to say is it takes time and persistence. And being good at making connections--something I can't speak to.