Transcript Fail

Eddie Kant

I took the advice someone on here offered up and ordered a copy of my official transcript so I could give it a look over before I sent it out; to see what the adcom will see. Glad I did. First of all, it's a not well organized at all and difficult to read. If I were a Prof and had to sift through the jumbled crap on there, I can see myself loosing patience and interest in that candidate's app. Hey, thanks school I paid a butt-load of money to for undergrad. The second frustrating part has more to do with my own personal academic record. I bumbled my way through my first three years and was finally forced to take a year away from that school. I went home, worked, and went to school part-time for three semesters at two separate institutions. Well, my mothership institution just decided to sprinkle these semesters throughout my transcript. So, they are completely out of chronological order. That poses the question, should I include a more coherent, "unofficial" version of my academic history in my application?

Something tells me you're not the first person from your undergrad who's wanted to apply to grad school. I'm sure others' transcripts have been in a similar format and I'd be willing to bet that adcoms are smart enough to put the pieces of a transcript together - especially considering that every school formats them differently :)

You're going to have to briefly address/explain the time you took off in your application packet, which will help sort out any potential issues on your transcript. Don't bother adding in an "unofficial" transcript, though. Adcoms have to review hundreds of applications and it is not a good idea to try and bog them down with additional documents out of paranoia. Most adcoms won't consider/review any items that they did not request.

I've never heard of anyone being rejected from grad school just because of a disorganized transcript, so fret not. You'll be fine.

Edited by dimanche0829

You've diagnosed my paranoia over the internet! But how... You have a good point. In trying to make things easier, I'd just be giving them more material to read. My thinking was part of a strategy I've used over the years as an employee, i.e. do what you can to make the boss's job as easy as possible. In so doing, I think I would be violating another important rule - stay the bleep out of the way! Thanks for the input!

Edited by Eddie Kant

Something tells me you're not the first person from your undergrad who's wanted to apply to grad school. I'm sure others' transcripts have been in a similar format and I'd be willing to bet that adcoms are smart enough to put the pieces of a transcript together - especially considering that every school formats them differently :)

You're going to have to briefly address/explain the time you took off in your application packet, which will help sort out any potential issues on your transcript. Don't bother adding in an "unofficial" transcript, though. Adcoms have to review hundreds of applications and it is not a good idea to try and bog them down with additional documents out of paranoia. Most adcoms won't consider/review any items that they did not request.

I've never heard of anyone being rejected from grad school just because of a disorganized transcript, so fret not. You'll be fine.

An "unofficial" transcript may be overkill, but an addendum might work to elaborate on your attendance record, especially when 'sprinkled' through your official transcript like that.