Experiences writing SOP for NYU's GSAS?

Does anyone have experience or an impression of applying to NYU's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS)? Who reads your SOP, GSAS or the department you are applying to?

I'm having an "intended audience" dilemma. My SOP is directed at an audience of sociologists who are familiar with the work of their colleagues, departmental working groups, research centers, etc. I go into detail about my great fit with specific faculty and some specific working groups or projects in the department.

But if my SOP is being read by GSAS administrators, and not a departmental ad. comm., then I think some of that space could be better used hyping up other aspects of my application that are more general (e.g. TA and RA work, grants, conference presentations) and less specific to my field/subfield (e.g. how my understanding of a subfield topic matured through successive research projects and brought me to want to work with X professor).

Does anyone have any experience writing an SOP for NYU's GSAS? I know I can get in touch with somebody at NYU, but I thought I would investigate here first and get a third party perspective.

Thanks!