PhD programs

mike218

I was wondering if anyone thinks I have a reasonable chance of getting into a Phd program for Political Science or if I need to pad my application more some how (if i do any ideas would be much appreciated.

GPA Undergraduate Saint Joseph's College (Indiana) 2.59 (political science GPA was about a 3.0)

GPA Graduate Ball State University 3.36

GRE I am shooting for a score around 1300-1400 (or its equivalent on the New GRE)

Other aspects of my resume

intern on mayoral campaign, intern for the city of Fort Wayne, volunteer at the Indiana Senate , presented a paper to the Indiana Political Science Association, working on a paralegal certificate, and I am also working on a journal article.

I am looking at Georgetown (dream school, I am pretty sure I would need 1500-1600 on the GRE to even have a remote chance) or Florida State (They want a minimum of 1100 on the GRE, 3.0 undergrad, and a 3.5 graduate)

Edited by mike218

I don't know much about FSU of Georgetown admissions (other people here can speak to the specifics of those schools), but I do know that as an admissions committee member at a vaguely similar school, a GPA under 3.5 in a MA program would not help your case. In grad classes, grade inflation is extremely high - a B is the minimum grade for students who turn in their work. So to me, that is the weakest part of your file based on the information you've given us.

On the specific schools, here is the little bit I do know:

FSU is very very math-heavy in the way it trains students. If you've got strong grades in methods or grad-level econ courses, or math classes beyond linear algebra, that might help them look past your overall record.

Georgetown gets lots and lots of applications, largely because it is located in DC and has lots of ties into the policy world and policy-relevant coursework. But it funds a very small number of the students it admits. Even with strong GRE scores, you likely won't be competitive for funding even if you do get admitted.

I'm trying to think about what FSU and Georgetown share that makes them both appealing to you, and I confess I can't come up with the shared strength. Maybe if you describe your interests a bit more, we can help you come up with some other schools that would be a good fit.

I have an interest in international secuirty and international political economy. I am interested in Georgetown due to the joint degree in secuirty studies-international relations and I believe that FSU is pretty strong in those two areas as well.

OK, but there are lots of approaches to security. Folks who actually do this work can correct me on the specifics that follow, but the general point is that different 'international security' departments will have you doing wildly different kinds of work.

. You can go to Georgetown and get trained to do more qualitative/policy stuff (look at the work of Andrew Bennett, for example) or choose instead the more model-based, quantitative work that folks do at places like UCSD (look at the work of Slantchev, for example) and I assume FSU would fall into this camp. I would urge you to figure out more specifically what KIND of work in security and IPE interest you, and to come up with a list of appropriate schools.

Penelope is right, You also have to emphasis what aspects of security are you interested in. For instance, are you interested in technology and security, national security, energy security, etc. ? Also, is there a particular geographical area you want to research? How do you want to approach this topic? Finally, are you looking to become an academic or working a policy career?

I think PH's point is more about one's desired approach to security studies than which aspects of security one is interested in. It sounds as though FSU may not be a good choice for applicants who aren't interested in game theory and econometrics, irrespective of the particularities of their substantive interests.

I think PH's point is more about one's desired approach to security studies than which aspects of security one is interested in. It sounds as though FSU may not be a good choice for applicants who aren't interested in game theory and econometrics, irrespective of the particularities of their substantive interests.

Yes, I was just adding to PH's point. As for as your point on Florida State, I would say you are correct from what i have read and talked to them about. While they do have scholars in the areas of IPE and conflict not involved in quantitative issues, a lot of their required courses are in the issues you mention.

Edited by orst11