Writing Sample Length

crazedandinfused

So I'm finishing up my writing sample and it looks like it's going to clock in at about 15 pages without the bibliography. The thing is that the schools I'm applying to have limits in the range of 10-30 pages. I can edit down to ten, but I doubt that I can expand it to thirty without obscuring the argument I want to make... Will it hurt me to submit a fifteen page paper when the limit is 30?

Not at all. The first 10 pages are the most crucial. You need to put everything out there- your deepest analyses and primary sources. They'll continue to read if they find the material interesting enough and time allows for it. Focus on your writing- make sure it's perfect.

Generally journals follow Chicago so... do what you want. They're not going to look THAT closely.

Yes, the bib part is for real. Why waste writing sample space for that when you've already cited works in the body? Well-read professors will check out your citations and maybe your lit review if you include it and figure out what secondary sources you've consulted.