Am I MBA material? Seeking advice about the degree

JackBauer24

Hoping someone can clarify some things for me here.

I'm trying to get a handle on just what exactly an MBA prepares an individual for. Originally, I thought that an MBA was basically just a general business masters degree. Yet, from the research I've done, it sounds like MBA colleges tailor programs to prepare students for specific higher positions within their original profession (or a related field) or field of study, rather than for individuals looking to break into completely different professions. Is this a fair assessment?

I have a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture with work experience. Yet I'm looking to possibly leave that profession behind and go in a completely different direction. Business, in general, interests me. Yet my background is more arts/technical oriented. I've had no experience in the daily workings of running a business from a financial or marketing standpoint.

If I wanted to get into say, finance, information systems or marketing, would the mba curriculum do me any good in obtaining positions within those fields upon graduation, or would my prior background be working against me?

It just seems as though the mba is not the place to start for someone with a non-business background. Am I right or wrong here?

• 2 weeks later...

From my research, the MBA is a master's in business admin that schools tailor to specific areas of business. You have to research to find the right school that offers the right specialty for your MBA. Some schools offer general MBAs and those are geared towards working professionals who are just looking for a title or certification to increase their potential for promotion. Business schools have fierce competition, especially for MBA programs, so you'll have to research which school your background can compete for in regards to admission.

I'm currently applying for a MA in HR, which is part of the business school in most colleges, but is separate from the MBA program. Some schools offer the MBA/MS in HR but those are geared towards working professionals, and since my background is in psychology and my work experience in counseling/education, then I've decided to tailor my application to the MA in HR program. So my advice is just research the specific business program that would apply to your interests and background.

Hopefully this helps answer your questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Your degree/background won't hurt you, but the lack of relevant experience will. I know history, psychology, engineering, and english majors at Kellogg for their MBA, but they all had some exposure to professional experience in business.

• 1 month later...

Not a "place to start," no, but more of a place to continue and build upon yourself after some work experience. I had spoken with an admissions counselor for an MBA program and she said that not only is your work experience considered, but they look at how quickly you are promoted (if you are in a position to be promoted).

I have a psychology degree and was considering the MBA for a bit. I work as a human resources lead at a department store, which isn't much to brag about (entry-level job, no education really needed). But I was told by another counselor that if I moved up into a salaried operations manager position (which is the position directly above me), it would help me out a lot, even though I certainly have no plans to continue in retail after graduate school. So look for opportunities where you can move up into management/leadership positions. You don't have to go back and do a second major in those fields.

• 2 months later...

Anyone who has successfully completed a bachelor’s degree in any field can join an MBA program. With your current qualifications, you can apply for a Masters in Business Administration, or an MBA program with an emphasis in entrepreneurship. You’d then have the knowledge-base and credentials to start your own business. But you ought to look around for MBA degrees that are in line with your interests and career goals. Most b-schools will align their curriculum to offer courses that are in keeping with the needs and trends of today’s business world. Certain MBA programs like finance or accounting may require those with non-business/non-accounting backgrounds to take a few courses as prerequisites.

If you’re keen on a career change make sure you enroll in an MBA program that would actually hold value to a prospective employer when applying for that coveted position. Business schools that have a good reputation and high ranking will hold you in good stead. These programs may be more expensive but totally worth it when you consider the quality of their alumni.

If you’re working, I’d suggest doing an online masters degree in business administration. Some colleges offer both online and on ground programs and have an extremely good reputation. Look for those that have recognized accreditation and 24x7 access to online services and study materials. Most colleges offer career guidance and you may want to talk to a counselor to see the kind of career choices you have with your interests and talents and how you could go about achieving your goals.

• 1 month later...

Don't let the fact that you don't have a business background discourage you. An MBA program is a good decision for anyone who is genuinely interested in business and is looking for more education and better career opportunities. An MBA program will only help you. Your curriculum will be tailored to your interests academically. Do some research, and you will find the right program for your apptitudes. College Crunch's Career Guide is a great place to start gathering information about MBA and the many programs available.