Is teaching info really the 'kiss of death' for a phd app?

Happy New Year!

I've been lurking around for awhile but have decided to introduce myself :)

I'm applying to PhD programs now- a 4 year break since I completed my M.Phil at a very good school in the UK. After graduating, I came back to the US and have been teaching a crazy load as an assistant prof at a very small college in the northeast. In addition to teaching, I've presented a few papers and have 2 upcoming publications that go to press this spring- one is a book and the other is a chapter.

I've got (what I feel to be) a very strong writing sample, SOP, LORs, etc, but feel like I need something extra to 'help' my applications.. would including my department chair's observations of my teaching really be the 'kiss of death' ? I've heard that you are supposed to present yourself as a kind of research robot machine that will, of course, teach upon completion of the degree but isn't supposed to express any sort of passion or ability for it in the application. This sounds crazy to me though and I would be very grateful for any opinions on this.

(also, to somewhat explain why I feel like I need to add something to my applications- despite the publishing and presenting and teaching, my Master's dissertation did not go that well- my advisor left the college right after our first meeting and didn't notify me. It took 2 months to track him down and at that point the college wouldn't replace him so I wrote the whole thing with no guidance or second pair of eyes at all. Needless to say, it was not great (it did pass though) but I hope I can redeem myself with the fact that this crap dissertation has been turned into one of my future publications with a reputable press).

thanks in advance!

Hmm... Based on my uninformed opinion, I don't see why passion and/or ability to teach should be a liability! While it is true that research is a large component of doctoral graduates, I am guessing that many are also hired for their ability to teach upon graduation. At least in my university, professors who are not able to teach are seen as a liability. Conversely, effective professors have been regarded as assets. I am guessing this is particularly true for the humanities.

In any case, a couple of schools that I applied to asked my LoR writers to assess my ability as a TA as part of the LoR, so I think you should be fine. :)

Good luck with your applications!

Some universities place research on a pedestal. I don't think expressing a love for teaching will hurt you, but it might not help you, either.

There are plenty of unis that emphasize teaching, or encourage research-informed teaching that finds a balance between the two artificially created poles. The school's disposition on this matter might be a factor when figuring out how well you fit. Consider where you would like to teach, research, or administer when you are done with your degree and see where the people who do those jobs went to school

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with basically everything Minnesotan says.

Also, BTW: I was told by a faculty member at the number-one ranked school in English (very much a research institution) that a rec from a teaching supervisor would be a positive addition to my application, as long as it was my fourth letter (i.e., if it didn't take the place of a letter that spoke more directly to my research ability).

I'd guess that it depends a whole lot on the culture of the school, but in general, if your research background is also strong, I think that documented teaching ability is a help more often than a hindrance.