Low GRE score

vigneshs

Hi,

I recently took the GRE and got a score of 1150 (V:580; Q:570; AWA: 4.0). My TOEFL score is 110. I'm interested in applying for a Phd in cancer biology in the fall of 2012. But, I'm very much worried about my low quants score. I'm wondering if there is any chance at all for me to get an admission in the US.

My marks in B.Sc is 84% and that in M.Sc is 7.1/10.

I have six months of lab experience as part of my dissertation.

Please comment on the possibilities of getting admitted in the US.

I would not expect your chances to be very good. Admission is super competitive for international students, and most have much higher GRE Q scores (as you probably know). I would say you HAVE to retest and score better. Also, 6 months of lab experience may not be enough for most good programs. Many applicants come in with 2 or more years of lab experience, as they tend to start early in their undergraduate careers and spend summers doing research as well. That's not to say you won't get admitted anywhere, just that it is going to be especially tough with your current credentials.

I wouldn't see your GRE scores holding you back (although they're on the low side), but only having 6 mos of research experience between both a BS and an MS is quite low- many people you'll be competing with have 2-4 years of research experience from their undergraduate program alone.

That said, depending on the topic of your MS Thesis/any publications, those might help you show fit with some programs. How many publications did you get out of your MS?

In my B.Sc, there is no research work in the curriculum and I didn't try also for outside chances. It was only in my Master's that I had lab work. As regards to publication, I hoping of getting only one from my master's project.

I disagree with Eigen about how damaging that GRE Q score is -- isn't it something like the 40th percentile? Would the OP even make it past an initial screening? I don't have any insider information, but I'd be very concerned that a score that low would be a problem.

For molecular biology, the Q isn't as heavily weighted as for other fields, from my experience. I'd think it would be great if he could get it above 600, but my point was more that of his application, I don't think it's the GRE score that would hold him back.

This obviously depends on where he's applying- some schools have 1100 cutoffs, some have 1200s... For a 1200 cutoff, he might not make it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I intend to apply for MS in Medicinal Chemistry or Pharmacy administration, My GRE score is 660:verbal, 630: quantitative and 3: AWA. TOEFL 99/120. I understand my score in AWA and quantitative is too low. But I coauthored two publications which are accepted. One of them is in medicinal chemistry and other one is in microbiology and public health issue. Though I have A's in most courses of chemistry and community pharmacy along with CGPA of 3.62/4.00. But poor quantitative and analytical section still annoying me. Some times I think of retaking GRE, kindly comments and share your views.