Not sure if my top choice for LOR is going to work out. Help!

So here is my story: I have been out of school for about a year and a half now and am applying for grad school for next Fall. I already have two LOR writers lined up and need a third. I e-mailed my top choice for LOR about a week ago, and still haven't heard back.

My first question is, how long should I wait before following up with him, and how should I follow up? He is one of my old psychology professors. It seems odd to me that he would not respond either way (whether he is going to agree to do it or not). I did my senior project with him and did very well, so I thought he would be a great choice.

My second question is, if this LOR doesn't work out, who should I ask? I was a fairly quiet student and did not have many professors for multiple classes. Here are the possiblities:

-An ethnic studies professor whom I was in a very small class with (3 students!) awhile back. The professor really seemed to like me personally and appreciate my work. This class was in my academic minor

-A psychology professor whom I had two classes with, but I didn't especially like her or the classes. I was less than enthusiastic but did earn good grades.

-My academic advisor, who I didn't have any classes with but met with once a semester to discuss schedules, career plans,etc.

-A psychology professor whom I took one class with and who supervised my internship. By "supervise" I actually did not talk to him about it much, other than getting things set up, checking in every once in awhile and submitting a final report.

My instinct says to go with my ethnic studies professor, but that would mean I would not have any psychology academic references..and somebody told me this might look bad. At the same time, I want to ask somebody who knows me fairly well. I am getting a letter from my boss, who works in the field I am applying to grad school for (counseling). I can't get any more professional references because all the schools I am applying to require at least 2 academic letters, specifically.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Give it some time. At most schools the semester either just started or is about to begin. It's a busy time of year. Plus, it's a long weekend. If you say it's not like your professor to just disappear, there's no reason to assume that he has. Things can get missed very easily when you're busy. If another week goes by without a reply, follow up with an email or call during office hours.

A week ago - and it's barely September? Do yourself a favor and relax. He is most likely inundated with other things. Before I decided to delay my application cycle until this year, I asked my LOR writers last year. My first choice professor didn't get back to me until a week later and she said she'd be happy to do it.

It's good that you have a contingency plan in place with other options, but give him a bit more time. You can always re-send the e-mail in a few days.

If it comes down to it, I'd absolutely use the ethnic studies professor. Even if it doesn't provide a psychology reference, it sounds as if the letter itself would be great, and far superior to your alternatives who may not be able to speak in detail about you and your academic performance.

For your case, I would tell you to wait. The email could have easily gotten lost in the fray of busyness, etc. Either way, you've got some backup if this guy doesn't come through, so perfect.

Personally though I've got two letter writers lined up and have been hounding the third potential writer since July via email (2 emails sent to her). I've yet to receive any response from her which makes me worry. I asked the typical "would you be comfortable writing a letter for me?" along with a promise to meet with her to talk in more detail once school starts.

She's an old-school type professor, so I'm guessing at this point it's either A) she hates being asked by email and wants me to ask personally or B ) it's a definite no (in which case I'd prefer to be told ASAP, not left in this uncertainty.)

Edited by mooochael