Writing Sample Topic

Is there a cut off point in what work of literature is too current? If so what tends to be the cut off point? For my MA English and Literature applications I was thinking of writing about Sometimes a Great Notion however it is from the 1960s, and not considered to be canonized.

I wouldn't think so at all, but it might depend on the areas you're interested in. I regularly write about literature from the 1990s. I cannot see a reason why Sometimes a Great Nation would not be appropriate, especially if you are interested in Marxist criticism or ecocriticism. The only concern you might have is that if there is little to no critical response to the work already published (and I'm not sure in this case), you won't be able to display your ability to enter an established discussion on that particular text. As long as you prove yourself familiar with your area/perspective in your usage of theory or close reading, however, I think you'll be okay.

Edited by asleepawake

You should focus on selecting your writing sample based on your best work, not necessarily topic (though I cannot imagine that there is any specific cutoff on time period). It is more important that you demonstrate a solid ability to perform research, use the research appropriately, and provide original thoughts, all in a nicely proofread and edited package. This might pose a challenge with new works, but it shouldn't be impossible for your desired book. Hope this helps!

Edited by dimanche0829

I would sincerely hope something from the 60s wouldn't be frowned upon--not least because that would indicate there's little hope for me as my WS focusses on a text from 1999.

What do i say? Canon shmanon! If you can demonstrate that you've done the requisite research, your thesis is tight, your reading original and your writing top-notch, i don't see why there should be a problem--unless, perhaps, your interests are completely and utterly removed from the topic of the WS. It would raise a few eyebrows, i would think, if that were the case.

What about a book from, say, 2006?

My writing sample is on a book from 2003, so I would say there is nothing wrong with 2006. However, it all depends on the research. I don't think the concern needs to be on which text you are analyzing/critiquing/whatevs, but what you did with the work and the research produced. I would be more focused on if the argument is well researched, written clearly and concisely, and demonstrates your best writing ability.

I'm a medievalist. My writing sample is on a science fiction novel written in 1992, which invovles time travel and the Black Death. But it fits with my research interests, and it's a revised portion of my MA thesis. Yes, it makes me a little nervous.

I'm a medievalist. My writing sample is on a science fiction novel written in 1992, which invovles time travel and the Black Death. But it fits with my research interests, and it's a revised portion of my MA thesis. Yes, it makes me a little nervous.

Jbarks, I see that you are applying to GWU. Have you heard anything about their funding? I heard/read that they didn't have any funded positions last year, so I am a little hesitant to apply there.

Jbarks, I see that you are applying to GWU. Have you heard anything about their funding? I heard/read that they didn't have any funded positions last year, so I am a little hesitant to apply there.

I've read several posts about the funding issue from last year, as well. I do know someone from my MA program who started GWU's program this fall. I plan to email her shortly and ask. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. Like you, I'm enthusiastic about the program, but unsure of whether to fully commit to applying.