Microbiology PhD - what programs should I apply to?

isobel_a

I'm looking to get into a microbiology PhD program with a focus on applied micro/environmental engineering (biofuels, etc).

I'm sort of a unique (read: non-traditional) applicant, so I have no idea where I stand compared to fresh-faced undergrads who will be applying for PhD programs. Any advice would be appreciated

Here are my stats:

First degree: B.A. in Philosophy from a top 10 liberal arts college (scholarship)

Second degree: M.A. in Media/Communications (took these courses because my employer paid for them) from university in NYC

Third: B.S. in Biology with a Chemistry minor from a small state school (scholarship)

GRE: 740V/760Q/5.0 AW

After my first degree, I moved to NYC and worked at The Rockefeller University as science writer (impressive CV with names of Nobel laureates on it). Went through a few major life events (deaths in family, etc), and realized life is too short not to pursue my dream career. So I decided to switch it up and become a scientist.

Went to a small/affordable state school to get the pre-reqs that I needed for a PhD in micro. I've won some awards, grants, and done research related to my field of interest. Working as a TA currently in my final year. No publications yet but maybe one coming next year. Should have solid LORs.

Applying to:

University of Washington

Cornell

University of Wisc-Madison

UC Berkeley

UMass Amherst

Thinking about applying for the hell of it: MIT

Will I stack up against their other applicants?

You sound competitive to me. You've obviously worked hard to prepare yourself for the new career you want. I don't see why you would be at any disadvantage compared to other applicants. If anything, you're ahead -- you probably have a better idea of what you want to do than most.

You sound competitive to me. You've obviously worked hard to prepare yourself for the new career you want. I don't see why you would be at any disadvantage compared to other applicants. If anything, you're ahead -- you probably have a better idea of what you want to do than most.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear it. The people I've talked to seem to be split down the middle, with some telling me that grad programs love non-trads, and others sort of wincing and saying "at least you don't have kids..." I'm in my late 20s, so I doubt I'll be geriatric at most programs; I've heard that the average age of first-year grad students in my field is 26.

One aspect of the app that I know I can ace is the personal statement. I have no idea how important these are, however, in deciding admissions...

(Btw, my GPA is 3.8 right now, and I've taken all of the most challenging courses I could fit into my schedule.)

Edited by isobel_a

you're in good shape. Your stats are competitive and it sounds like you really know what you want and you are prepared for the demands of grad school. Make sure your statement makes it clear that you're mature and focused. Remember, you don't have anything to apologize for in your career path.. you've done a lot of amazing things.

As to your list, it looks very similar to what I had in mind and I have similar interests. Maybe give UC Davis a look and NCSU or UNC Chapel Hill. Those got kicked off my list early but you might love something they have to offer.

ahem... and... Madison is great!