Why do all of the math gre prep books give only a broad overview?

Lion87

Hello all, I am currently preparing for my GRE I will be taking in mid-November. I went to the bookstore the other day to buy GRE math prep books and I was disappointed in what I saw. It seems that many of these books only give a brief overview of the topic at hand for only a couple of pages and expect you to solve 20-30 problems, with some of difficult question types that were not addressed at the beginning of the chapter. I experienced this when I read Barron's and the NOVA math bible. Pardon my rant, but I'm the type of person that likes to learn in detail. Luckily, I have some Manhattan GMAT math prep books. These books are very good for the simple fact that

there are total of 5 math books devoted to 5 different GMAT math topics such as: number properties, geometry, equations and inequalities, fractions, decimals and percents, and word translations. I'm finding these books very helpful since the GMAT and GRE problem types are essentially similar excluding the data sufficiency in the GMAT as opposed to the GRE's quant comparisons, I would still like to use a GRE math book to study with. Does anyone know of any DETAILED GRE math prep books?

Edited by Lion87

I found NOVA's GRE book extremely detailed and infact well past what was needed for the GRE. If you find you are missing points you may have some gaps in your math knowledge.

I did some problems in the very hard sections of the book and I was a bit overwhelmed by them. I answered some correctly but I missed a lot of them. . Are those problems in the very hard section representative of what will be on the GRE?

I'm currently studying from this book http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

For the most part it's very detailed and pretty much goes over all of the math that you may have forgotten and could appear on the GRE.

This book seems very detailed and it looks like very topic addressed in depth. I will probably buy it, thanks.

Edited by Lion87

Kaplan's GRE Math workbook is quite good. It goes over the types of questions on the GRE with practice questions for each (10 basic, 10 intermediate, 10 advanced) and includes six 30-question GRE math sections so you can time yourself once you're comfortable with the problems. The other half of the book is a detailed math review section which covers every concept you'll need for the GRE.

Kaplan's GRE Math workbook is quite good. It goes over the types of questions on the GRE with practice questions for each (10 basic, 10 intermediate, 10 advanced) and includes six 30-question GRE math sections so you can time yourself once you're comfortable with the problems. The other half of the book is a detailed math review section which covers every concept you'll need for the GRE.

Thanks I glanced over the Kaplan GRE advanced math workbook on amazon and the problems didn't seem too bad. They were a lot easier than the NOVA problems. I heard some of the problems in the NOVA GRE math bible are harder than any GRE test problem. Can someone please confirm this?

Edited by Lion87