School Psychology 2009

waitingwaiting

Hi,

I applied successfully to school psych programs last year and I even attended the Fordham interview. I don't believe it took longer than 3 hours. We interviewed as a group, interviewed with a faculty member, did a writing exercise, talked with current students, and did a tour. I know I went to work afterwards and I believe I made it back by 1 pm (I worked in the city at the time). If you have any other questions, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I left the interview and went to work after and made it by 2pm. Even squeezed in a phone interview in between!

Are any of anyone's programs pressuring them to make a decision? APA regs say we don't HAVE to tell them until April 15, right??

Are any of anyone's programs pressuring them to make a decision? APA regs say we don't HAVE to tell them until April 15, right??

If the school is in the Council of Graduate Schools and you're applying for a PhD. http://www.cgsnet.org/Default.aspx?tabid=201

Don't let them pressure you. You are entitled to take your time.

In my 2007-2008 APA book, it says Duquesne's program received 22 applications and admitted 7 people. No idea how many they interviewed but their acceptance rate is a bit higher than other programs.

On a related note, now that some of us have some interviews under their belts, has anyone experienced any programs bad-mouthing another program? At most every interview I've attended, someone has something negative to say about another school, usually current students who had recently undergone the application process. For example, one girl at Tennessee told me the program at Univ. of South Carolina was not that great. Naturally, these accounts are purely subjective and possibly innaccurate but I want to see if anyone else has heard similar things about other programs on their visits, and what, specifically.

So, ladies and gentlemen...it seems that admission notifications are starting to trickle in for us school psych people

Anyone care to share what sorts of thoughts are running through your head as you make a decision on which institution to attend? Is funding your main concern (and if so, what does your financial package look like?). Do you care what the program size is (how many admitted students/year)? Anything else you're considering?

I based my decision a lot on the feel I got form the faculty/students/program during my interviews. Did you feel like certain schools were more attentive to you as an individual? I feel like it helps when a program makes you feel like a unique applicant and not just another random name. If you connected well with people in the programs that could be indicative of how well you'll work with them in the coming years. Funding is obviously important but to some people its worth it to have a small funding package but be in the place where you know you will be happiest and most productive. Hope thats helpful....good luck :)

Funding is a main concern, though certainly not the only one. I do care about how many students the program admits yearly because I feel like it gives you an idea of the caliber of the program. Also, I'd rather be a part of a smaller cohort versus a larger one. I care if a program is APA and NASP approved and if not, I care what are they doing to get approved (like whether or not they have a site visit scheduled). I also care about how long it takes students to finish and the reasons for some dropping out. I care about the reputation about the program, though this is so hard to tell since there are no concrete ranking systems outside of research done on faculty productivity and graduates in faculty positions.

How do people feel about school psych being placed in either Education of Psychology departments?

Funding of course is a main concern for a majority of people. I think location has a lot to do with it also. I know I would like to be in a location that I know I can atleast bear for the next 4-6 years of school. I hope to find good chemistry with my future faculty in order to achieve my full potential, but I don't want to be miserable while doing it. I have my first interview with Duquesne next Thursdsay, I have no idea what to expect, any good advice out there????

To reiterate, funding is one of my major concerns, although I am coming from undergrad with a small amount of loans. Funding and cost of living, since most of my top places I applied to are located in major cities (which ties in with my research interests). Aside from that, I think visiting the school and interacting with faculty and students has definitely helped me in the decision process. Also, knowing about internship placements and opportunities in the area, faculty connections and reputation, job placements after graduation and the time it takes to graduate all plays in. So, when it comes down to choosing one place, it will come down to money and opportunities, for me.

Funding is a huge concern for me. Reading through these forums, the general consensus seems to be that paying anything for your PhD is stupid. However, I feel a little different, as we're coming out with a credential (in much the same way as law, med, or clinical psych students do, albeit at a much reduced earning rate :lol: ).

As I'm sure you all know, the career prospects for school psych grads look really great - whether you're interested in going directly into practice, or going into a faculty position. How does this factor into your choice of program? I've been admitted to one program at a top graduate school of education, but the funding isn't great (I've been offerred some, but I won't have tuition + living expenses completely covered - I'd graduate about $30,000 in debt). On the other hand, I've gotten into some programs in lesser known universities with better funding packages. Do you think that, given the job market, it doesn't really matter where we go? What if you're interested in a faculty position down the road? Should you go to a better ranked university in that case?

There are so many things to weigh here, and I don't know whether it's *okay* to take on some debt given the nature of our program and the great job prospects upon graduation.

Thoughts?

I think funding has different meanings for us depending on our lifestyle, family support, and age. I have been out of school for a couple of years and am proud to be financially independent. I realized through this process how important funding is for me. In addition to desiring a comfortable lifestyle during graduate school, I also want to leave school debt free. I think that this financial independence will allow me to have more flexibility in terms of a possible post-doc and other areas of professional development. I also will be graduating after I am thirty years old....hence, I don't want to be in debt when I start planning a family. I think that for those of you who are still undergraduates, you should really think about your current financial situation before you make any decisions. I didn't fully understand the cost of living until I was on my own and I surely learned a lot about debt from various friends who currently struggling. Regardless of what programs people choose, though, I think our future careers are incredibly lucrative.

I'm currently making my decision. In addition to funding, there are obviously more "meaty" factors. Possibly the most important aspect of my decision is how I "bonded" with the faculty, students, and applicants. I want a place that is nurturing and that promotes a true community of teachers and students. I also want a place that offers a good balance between practice and research. I don't want my hand held at all times, but I do want proper supervision. Hence, I realized that I like programs that lean more towards the smaller side. I've also taken into account the diversity of populations I would be able to work with throughout the program. I want a program that is well rooted with various school districts, especially if I plan to practice in the same area after graduation. Those are some of the big ones for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Funding will be important to me because I had to take out loans in my undergraduate years (full government stafford). If I add to that significantly, and expect one day to have car loans, mortgage/rent, and other bills, I don't want to feel buried. I wish sometimes I went almost "free" to my local state school, but the reputation as a 4th tier college and apathetic students wouldn't have prepared me as well as my LAC. Choices.....they can have you lose sleep!

Sorry to change topic, but I just turned down my offer for Fordham's School Psych program today. That was my only School Psych application...but tuition was too pricey for me. I'll be in the City University of New York's Developmental Psych PhD. Good luck to everyone!

*back to the question about Duquesne*

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know the details of the assistantship (SGA) being offered at Northeastern for School Psych PhD? I got word that I am receiving the assistantship + full tuition but I really want to know what the assistantship is worth. I am waiting to hear official word from graduate admissions office but they are slow in getting back to me! If anyone has details let me know. Also, how many did they accept to PhD program and how many do they expect to attend next year?

• 1 month later...

I was looking at Northeastern's new School Psych program and might apply next fall. Did you find out how much your assistantship is yet?

Good luck to you, sounds like a great school.