School Psychology 2009

waitingwaiting

I've applied to 8 school psychology Ph.D. programs (UC Santa Barbara, UC Berkeley, Tennessee, NC State, University of Georgia, Columbia, University of South Carolina, and UNC-Chapel Hill) and plan to apply to four more (Tulane, CUNY, Fordham, and Duquesne. Has anyone had any notable experiences (i.e. acceptances or interviews!) to any of these programs?

Also, I'm having a difficult enough time as it is handling the program, departmental, and sometimes overarching graduate school applications, let alone financial aid requirements. I try to do those as I apply to each school, but I'm sure I'm missing some paper here, there, or somewhere for some school. Once you are accepted, do schools offer you some type of financial aid package, or is it up to you to have all your ducks in a row in that area?

I've heard from one school, UGA, and have an interview planned. Any interview advice in the area of school psych is welcome. Thanks!

I am also applying to Fordham GSE's School Psych Ph.D. program (and NC State's Psychology in the Public Interest program, waitingwaiting) and was wondering if anyone had info about interview dates, typical funding offered, etc???

Also, is it normal for School Psych PhD programs to take about 7 yrs average to graduate? That's the stat that I read on the Fordham site.

Good luck to everyone!

Many programs will offer you a funding package (tuition waiver, stipend, etc.) that's separate from a financial aid package (which would consist of loans). If you're missing paperwork after being admitted and accepting an offer, the department/university should let you know.

I can speak to University of Georgia's policies on assistantship, funding etc, since I am in a PhD program within the department you are applying to. If you are not offered an assistantship upon acceptance, there is a list of departmental assistantship opportunities where you would apply for positions you are interested in after you get accepted. In the past, and this year EVERYONE has been funded, however there will typically tell you it's not GUARANTEED. Schools usually wouldn't keep you in the dark about that, so just do great on your interviews so they will be happy to offer something to you! Good luck, and hope you like UGA!

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from my Georgia interview and I am overall pretty happy with how it went. While at the airport Friday, I got a call from Berkeley requesting an interview. I about crapped my pants. I am so happy. Need some advice though....

I am coming from New York. They requested an interview for the 10th of Feb in person or a phone interview the 9th. (Tuesday or Monday). This is exceedingly inconvenient because 1. short notice = prices are not so great CA-NYC and more so 2. I already have an interview booked at UNC that Friday and 3. I have a job and a boss who are not too keen on me being gone an entire week. The third reason is somewhat unimportant.

It sounded like phone interviews are ok. The secretary said already, some people from MN and NYC have scheduled phone interviews and that she didn't think it would count against them. This is the secretary though. It really did seem that the phone option was viable, though, and perhaps wouldn't be such a big deal if I did that instead of visited. It's pretty much my #1 choice. So....go, or stay home and phone interview? Advice, anyone?

Also, I noticed an identical entry on the results page. If you're reading this, and you got asked to interview at this program, please pm me! What are you planning to do??

tough call. Are you the kind of person who really shines in person? Then maybe it is worth the trip...

btw, how was Georgia? I'm not going to visit until late March...

Congrats to everyone who already got interviews! I applied to Columbia, Fordham, Northeastern, Duquesne, UMass Amherst and Lehigh. Anybody heard from any of these schools yet? The only word I have is an email from Fordham that says IF invited for an interview I'd hear by email the first week in February. And it said something about a "group interview"..has anybody experienced this yet? Good luck!!

If you are really serious about going to Berkeley and it is your first choice of the schools you have heard from then I would certainly seriously consider going to the interview in person for many reasons (i.e., showing them how serious you are, having the opportunity to shine in person, seeing firsthand what it would be like to go to school there...etc).

Good luck!

I booked my travel - I'm going to Berkeley for the interview. Thanks for the advice. As for group interviews - I've only been on 1 interview total, and my "group interview" was me, another student, and a professor. I thought group interviews would be bad, and it really wasn't so terrible at all. You can generate questions from their statements and really get good conversation going.

good call! I'd welcome a trip to CA myself, especially on a snowy day like today, but the logistics of what to do with my family may have dissuaded me.

I'm sure you will rock it!

Hi everyone,

waitingwaiting....are you the awesome applicant from Brooklyn that I met at UGA???? I'm the girl from Baltimore (originally from NY). Regardless, good luck with your interviews!

I'm getting ready for an interview at UConn on Feb. 12th. In addition, I just received an email from my POI at Temple that she wants to have a "preliminary phone interview." What goes on in this phone call? If I make the "cut," I'm guessing they then ask to meet you in person. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Fordham also told me that they'll get back to me next week.

Good luck to everyone on this board.

Suggs-

Yes, it's me and I remember you! So funny that we've caught up with each other on this site.

I've never heard of an initial screener interview like that. I've heard from four schools (all for interviews only, nothing more concrete than that) and UGA has been the most personalized in terms of communication thus far. After extending an invite to interview via email, one school's director called to chat but it definitely didn't feel like an interview. He just wanted to answer any questione before I visited, which was cool, but caught me totally off guard at work. I'd consider the call from Temple a really good sign and I'm sure you'll impress your prof. on the phone.

I've been on one interview and there were about 15 or so women. Everyone wore a suit. There was a mix of pants and skirts. I tend to stick with pants and choose non-traditional shirts for underneath, just so I don't end up wearing the exact same thing as someone else. A couple girls had different suits from the typical black or pinstripe ones from Banana or Express. They were printed and cute and not at all inappropriate. All in all, wear what you're most comfortable in and if you think your outfit is distracting, re-think it. There are ways to stand out and be unconventional without looking (and feeling) way too "out there" or different from everyone else.

Definitely a suit. Skirts are more conservative, but I personally think they are less comfortable to move around in. Pants are more comfortable. Therefore, they make me feel more confident. In addition, make sure to wear shoes that you can actually walk in! No open toed heels or crazy high wedges....go with a simple pump or flats. I also suggest wearing something underneath other than a boring collared shirt.

Re: Fordham

Yeah, I'm waiting on Fordham as well!! I think they're probably just behind on processing those apps (...or maybe I'm trying to make myself feel better). Anyway, the members over at the Student Doctor Network forums suggested the same thing...that Fordham was behind because no one else has posted about hearing from them as well. Hopefully next week someone will have some news regarding that program!

....They must realize how nerve racking it is when they give a date for interview invites but then do not actually extend those invites!

I got one also :)

I don't know why assumed that we would be able to pick our interview dates. I had to reschedule my assigned interview date (the 18th) for the one on the 23rd. Would one of you do me a favor and let me know if the interview truly only lasts 3 hours? I have missed a lot of work lately and it would be cool if I could return to the office afterwards (I live in New York).

Good luck to all!

I got one also :)

I don't know why assumed that we would be able to pick our interview dates. I had to reschedule my assigned interview date (the 18th) for the one on the 23rd. Would one of you do me a favor and let me know if the interview truly only lasts 3 hours? I have missed a lot of work lately and it would be cool if I could return to the office afterwards (I live in New York).

Good luck to all!

I'll let you know how long it is! If I forget for some reason send me a message. They told me it should be done by 12:30/12:45. I hope they mean it, if so that's really short!