Mentioning Major Change?

The first two years of my undergraduate I was a Nursing major. Never enjoying it, I switched to Math and have never had a second thought about it (except maybe questioning why I was ever in Nursing in the first place).

So I'm passionate for Math enough to be applying to PhD programs in the fall; however, I wonder whether it would be smart to mention my switch in the SoP: maybe as just a concise explanation?

My adviser pointed out the positive of it: that I finished the degree essentially in just two years (minus general ed requirements).

This I suppose would demonstrate my focus and ability to some extent.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts or similar experiences! :)

It depends on how you do it. (sorry, I know that's an annoying answer. but:) Will you be able to add anything new by addressing your previous major in your SOP that's not evident from your transcripts? I assume the transcripts will reflect the change in your concentration and how long it took you to finish your new major. Aside from saying you've discovered a new passion, can you explain anything in particular about how and why you changed your interests? Is there a way to link what you do now to what you did in the past? If not, then you're essentially just wasting space in your SOP; everyone who applies for a PhD in X is assumed to be passionate for X. Can you add anything more detailed to that? If you think you can, addressing your previous major should be done quickly and with a positive twist on it. The SOP should be forward-looking and positive, so you should devote very little space to past "mistakes" that don't really need explaining anyway.

I would say mention it briefly, in a context of why you switched over, if it was something other then, you realized while you were talking the require math classes for nursing that you would be better off in math. For the most part though, if you did well in the major and have LOR's attesting to the fact that they think you will do well in a Math Ph.D. don't think that there is much you need to explain. Things like that happen, but if you are good at math you are good at math. It isn't such a huge jump as going from say, east Asian philosophy to math.

For the most part I agree with fuzzylogician (he finished his response while I was writing mine).

Thank you both for your sound advice. I originally was thinking of including a sentence or two addressing it to sort of underscore the notion that I'm taking my education seriously and not haphazardly skipping from major to major. Anyway, there's nothing really about my past major that's worth talking about in relation to my current position or academic interests so leaving it be sounds like the best decision.