What if my letter of references arrive before my application?

Kimmo

I want to give my recommenders as much time as possible. Some of them have already written me a letter for other applications in the past, so they will already have a letter ready.

If they send letters before I submit my application, will that cause any problems? Would it be needed or helpful to write a short email to each university I'm applying and tell them I'll be submitting my application soon and to please hold any letters they receive?

Hi Kimmo,

If the school uses an online system for applications and letters then you shouldn't have anything to worry about as your letters would be matched in the system with your application. If your letters are being sent by mail, then the department (or grad school) would (or should) keep your letters as well as any other application material (such as GRE scores) and then match them with your application once it arrives. Of course, since this scenario is a manual process, there is always the possibility, no matter how small it is, that something could get lost, so it is always recommended that you, as the applicant, follow up and try to get confirmation (if possible) that your documents have been successfully received and paired with your application. Some schools will have a website where you can check to see if they've received your materials, in other cases you will probably have to email and/or call. It's best to follow up as soon as you know when something has been sent, rather than wait until close to the deadline, because at that time, departments will probably be so busy that they may not be able to respond to your queries. Good luck!

As long as your name and the department you're applying to is clearly indicated, most universities will start a file on you. Application materials often come in bits and pieces - LORs from one direction, GRE scores from ETS, etc. You can call up the departments you are interested in and ask, but I recall the application information on mine saying that they would start a file on every candidate when materials on them start coming in.

It definitely varies by program. I had this issue with one of my programs. I called the university and asked your exact question and was told to NOT have my letters sent until I filled out my online application. Filling out my online application essentially started my file. However, one of my other programs worked very differently and letters arriving first didn't seem to matter. If I were you, I would call the program and ask.

• 4 weeks later...

I second Immuno's advice. For some of the programs I am applying to it says directly in the application instructions that you must submit an application before any additional materials are mailed, including letters. Essentially, the school needs to have a file open for you before they are able to keep track of these things. If you are not sure what a program's policy is you should either look over the application directions or give them a call. Your application is way too important to have them lose an essential piece of it!