GRE Prepration

aparnamisri

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this form and planning to give GRE in the month of December.Following are the things I want to know:

1. How to start preparing for the GRE

2. How to monitor my progress.

3. How much time should I give to each section everyday

4. Is there any good website I can use for the preparation

5. Is it necessary to remember entire 3600 words for the new GRE

I am using Barron's for the preparation. I am mainly worried about the wordlist.

Please suggest me.

Thanks and Regards

For the Revised GRE you do not need such a big wordlist, so hopefully that helps some. I personally think you can get by with the top 500 words and be fine but you must know these words in the context of sentence completion questions and when it comes to reading comprehension. As far as time on each section, this really does depend on how much time you have to spend on it, how well you need to do, and how much Math and English you need to catch up on. Since you said you are using Barron's be sure you are studying it for the New GRE and not the old one, and then you can also use the Powerprep software for a few more practice tests. Also, ETS does provide a pool of essay questions, so you can practice with some of those for the AW portion of the test.

Where can I find some good practices tests for free and paid... and good practice drills sets like kaplans?

Also, I hace 6 free practices test for the old GRE, I was wondering I they could be useful, at least for the math? what do you say?

Where can I find some good practices tests for free and paid... and good practice drills sets like kaplans?

Also, I hace 6 free practices test for the old GRE, I was wondering I they could be useful, at least for the math? what do you say?

For the math portion, yes old practice tests could work. This is only because the section hasn't changed much. If you aren't that strong in math I suggest checking out: and they have recommendations for prep on there.

As far as practice tests, you can download I think 5 free practice test from 800score.com. I think manhattanprep.com offers one for free and has some prep material available for free and to buy. Greguide.com offers a bunch of practice sets. Princeton Review has a practice test available online as well. Really there is a wealth of free study materials.

For practicing the AW section, you can do a practice essay and ETS will grade it. I forget how much it costs but this was the only prep I did for the AW section and felt pretty confident after taking the exam.

For the Revised GRE you do not need such a big wordlist, so hopefully that helps some. I personally think you can get by with the top 500 words and be fine but you must know these words in the context of sentence completion questions and when it comes to reading comprehension. As far as time on each section, this really does depend on how much time you have to spend on it, how well you need to do, and how much Math and English you need to catch up on. Since you said you are using Barron's be sure you are studying it for the New GRE and not the old one, and then you can also use the Powerprep software for a few more practice tests. Also, ETS does provide a pool of essay questions, so you can practice with some of those for the AW portion of the test.

Yes, I am using the new version of Barron's.Thanks a lot .I really appreciate your help.

There is a website "Number2.com" Hope this will be helpful to you

For the math portion, yes old practice tests could work. This is only because the section hasn't changed much. If you aren't that strong in math I suggest checking out: and they have recommendations for prep on there.

As far as practice tests, you can download I think 5 free practice test from 800score.com. I think manhattanprep.com offers one for free and has some prep material available for free and to buy. Greguide.com offers a bunch of practice sets. Princeton Review has a practice test available online as well. Really there is a wealth of free study materials.

For practicing the AW section, you can do a practice essay and ETS will grade it. I forget how much it costs but this was the only prep I did for the AW section and felt pretty confident after taking the exam.

thanks for the help, i already did the manhatans, princeton and kaplan free tests and I was looking for some more

Let me chek the 800.com and number2.com

Also if possible can somebody provide me the link for "top 500 words" for GRE

Thanks and Regards

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-New-GRE-Vocabulary-Flashcards/dp/1607148536/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315426673&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/500-Essential-Words-1st-Vocabulary/dp/1935707574/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315426673&sr=1-2

Also, you may try quizlet.com and search revised or new gre and find something for free on there.

1. make sidewalk slammers the night before and krunk out (if your test is at 10am, make sure you're in bed no sooner than 4am)

2. watch Wonder Showzen before leaving to take your exam (specifically the Horse Apples episode...it'll get your brain in shape)

3. start studying 6 months in advanced (math, whatever, learning 20 new words a week, blah blah)

4. take test while still tipsies (hopefully before the hangover sets in)

5. pass out on hood of car. when someone tries to wake you say 'just scored me a 1440, motherfucker!'

...anyway, worked great for the old test so i'm sure it will for the revised

I also found it difficult to study with the materials that were available, so I didn't bother using them. If you're finding the math materials too simple, I'd guess you're ready and fully capable of breaking the 750 barrier. I did, and that was including leaving the last question blank, which I've heard carried a heavy penalty in the old test (no idea how leaving questions blank affects scores now). I felt it was really a test in time management, and I wish I had just clicked ANY answer at the end, but everything worked out in the end.

I also found it difficult to study with the materials that were available, so I didn't bother using them. If you're finding the math materials too simple, I'd guess you're ready and fully capable of breaking the 750 barrier. I did, and that was including leaving the last question blank, which I've heard carried a heavy penalty in the old test (no idea how leaving questions blank affects scores now). I felt it was really a test in time management, and I wish I had just clicked ANY answer at the end, but everything worked out in the end.

I still have some problems with the High Level Questions in the Manhattan Tests and Kaplans Test, especially those of Permutation, Combinations and Probability. Those are the subjects I need to practice and study more but in the prep materials I have available there isnt much of it. I liked the Free Kaplan tests a lot, but I havent found any place to buy another.

Hi emmm,

I want to chime in on your comment about blank answers on the new GRE.

The new GRE will treat blank answers the same way they treat incorrect answers; there is no extra penalty. The reason the old GRE penalized so heavily was that the adaptive scoring algorithm relied on you finishing the entire test to adapt accurately. (To somewhat oversimplify the idea, the old GRE assumed that if you didn't finish, you were using an unfair amount of time on the questions that you did complete and thus were beating the adaptive algorithm so they penalized more heavily to counterbalance that advantage.) The adaptation and scoring on the new GRE works differently, so they don't need to include a penalty for blank answers. I hope this information is helpful!

Best Regards,

Taylor