Internship vs Grad School

35M40

I got an offer for an internship overseas from early February until the first week of April. One of my professors told me he thinks it's a bad idea to take it and that it will interfere with the application and acceptance procedures. I'm in Sociology, so I didn't think interviews were common and I thought I could visit schools the first two weeks of April if I needed. Graduate school is more important to me than the internship, but I don't want to turn them down if it's unnecessary. Also, I wrote the internship on my CV. Do I need to send the colleges an updated CV if I drop it? Thanks guys!

Why would you write something on your CV that you don't actually possess? That's pretty risky, in my opinion. Seems to me that if prospective ad comms were interested in your experience and called XYX internship to find out that you don't work there, that would be pretty serious grounds for dismissing your application.

Sort of seems like you backed yourself into a corner to me. I'd definitely take the internship.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't see why you can't accept/reject an offer from a grad school from overseas...it would be no different than if you were here. If they want an interview, they can do it over the phone (or wait until you return).

yeah it was definitely a bad decision. I had accepted it twice to get through the security process, so there wasn't any doubt that I would take it until I talked to my professor. I've just been really worried since then. Thanks so much for your help!!

I mean, just to give you something to relate to, I am holding on to a job I hate and that I'm not gaining anything from any longer, just in case my prospective schools call to check...I don't want to have any of them wonder why I suddenly don't work there any longer.

I just think it's better to not give any reason to suspect anything, but appear legitimate in all areas.

I mean, just to give you something to relate to, I am holding on to a job I hate and that I'm not gaining anything from any longer, just in case my prospective schools call to check...I don't want to have any of them wonder why I suddenly don't work there any longer.

This is so NOT going to happen that I'd quit the job. Applying to graduate school isn't like applying to a job where they call your past employers to verify your employment. If they wanted to call anyone, it'd be the people that wrote recommendations on your behalf. And, since when you submitted the application you were working there, there really aren't any ethical issues.

I got an offer for an internship overseas from early February until the first week of April. One of my professors told me he thinks it's a bad idea to take it and that it will interfere with the application and acceptance procedures. I'm in Sociology, so I didn't think interviews were common and I thought I could visit schools the first two weeks of April if I needed.

There are a couple of factors here. 1) Will the internship give you valuable experience that will help you in graduate school? 2) Do the schools have organized visit weekends with admitted students? 3) How much time/energy/money will you have in early April to visit schools? 4) How many schools did you apply to?

For reference, I went on visits to 4 programs in spring 2008, largely on consecutive weekends. I enjoyed getting to spend a few days at each school, meet with faculty, meet current students, etc. I wouldn't rush that process though there were times when I knew on the first day that the school wasn't the right fit for me. You may be able to do some of that weeding out through Skype or Google chat conversations though.

This is so NOT going to happen that I'd quit the job. Applying to graduate school isn't like applying to a job where they call your past employers to verify your employment. If they wanted to call anyone, it'd be the people that wrote recommendations on your behalf. And, since when you submitted the application you were working there, there really aren't any ethical issues.

I totally agree! That was sort of my point; I'm being overly cautious, because I figure, why risk it?

I totally agree! That was sort of my point; I'm being overly cautious, because I figure, why risk it?

I think my point is that you're being silly, borderline ridiculous, by keeping a job you hate for those reasons. Keep it because you need the money or you love the work or whatever, but not for grad application reasons. No one has time to waste calling places where you do or used to work. If you hate your job, quit it. Otherwise, you're making ridiculous excuses for keeping yourself some place where you aren't happy. To me, that's inconceivably stupid.

I think my point is that you're being silly, borderline ridiculous, by keeping a job you hate for those reasons. Keep it because you need the money or you love the work or whatever, but not for grad application reasons. No one has time to waste calling places where you do or used to work. If you hate your job, quit it. Otherwise, you're making ridiculous excuses for keeping yourself some place where you aren't happy. To me, that's inconceivably stupid.

Thanks for the advice, ass. I'll do what is right, and don't need some arrogant person who thinks they have all the answers to guide me. I am sure you are right in theory, but all wrong in presentation.

IvyHope, for the record, name-calling is 100% inappropriate on this forum. I did not call you any names, just pointed out that the position you're taking seems silly to me. You are, of course, free to do whatever you want. However, you are not free to call posters on this forum names because you dislike the advice they have to offer. Consider this a warning.

And, "for the record," I did not call you a name because I disagreed with your advice. As you can clearly see, I mentioned previously that I actually agreed with your advice.

I called you an appropriate name because of the tone you took with me, which was completely derogatory and insulting.

And don't worry, I'm not expecting an apology.