Evaluate my profile

smsirin

Hi everyone,

I am planning to apply to top MPA programs. Here is my profile. What do you think about my chance?

Undergraduate : Economics (summa cum laude)

Graduate : MS in International Affairs

Work Experience : 7 years full time government organization, attended to many professional training programs

Publications : Two papers in SSCI and SCI indexed journal, a, award from research council, three papers under review.

Scores : TOEFL :110, GRE 790 Q, 420 V

Hi everyone,

I am planning to apply to top MPA programs. Here is my profile. What do you think about my chance?

Undergraduate : Economics (summa cum laude)

Graduate : MS in International Affairs

Work Experience : 7 years full time government organization, attended to many professional training programs

Publications : Two papers in SSCI and SCI indexed journal, a, award from research council, three papers under review.

Scores : TOEFL :110, GRE 790 Q, 420 V

Verbal is pretty bad for a MPP/IR sort of program.

Verbal is pretty bad for a MPP/IR sort of program.

It looks like s/he's an international student, and, besides, the only section that really matters for MPA admissions is the quantitative section (since verbal ability be measured more easily and accurately through the personal statement, as well as the TOEFL for international students).

My only advice to you, smsirin, is to make sure you emphasize what you want to get out of an MPA. Since you already have a master's in international affairs, make sure you have a pretty good explanation in your SoP on how the MPA will help you achieve your career objectives in a way that your prior master's doesn't (and I don't think "going to a more prestigious school" will cut it.