My work

R. Mutt

Any one have knowledge of which MFA programs that dig the kind of work I am doing? I'm graduating from the University of Georgia this December and will be applying soon. Any help would be great, even about the work itself. Thanks, Mark

http://www.markstarling.com/

Edited by starling

Hi Mark,

Nice work. I particularly like your urn piece which I think is a fantastic idea and (from the photos) looks to be well executed. there also seems to be a touch of humor running through you work which is always nice when engaging with conceptual art.

I'm a figurative painter and doubt I can offer you great advice on what mfa's are more geared towards the theoretical/ conceptual end of art making, but I would say;

UCLA

Columbia

Yale

Bard

Hunter

SAIC

These are all very selective though, so it would be a good idea to have some fall back schools on your list.

home this helps.

I really like your work. It seems pretty ambitious for undergrad work, so you should definitely be getting in somewhere. You didn't say what discipline you want to be in--is it sculpture? Combined media?

I agree about UCLA. It's the best, and very selective, but worth a shot. I'd also recommend Virginia Commonwealth (the best for sculpture), UCSD, WUSTL, U. Washington. As usual, I'm not too keen on the NYC area schools, except SUNY Purchase. I'd recommend U-Conn also. Once again, I feel Yale and Columbia are way overrated, as is RISD. Indiana is also good in sculpture.

CCA, SVA, and Pratt are not good fallback schools because they're expensive, and in Pratt's case, not very good. Your fallbacks should be Georgia State (in-state tuition if necessary), Tennessee, Florida.

Thanks - I'll be applying to sculpture programs. Thanks for those recommendations - I haven't checked out UCSD, Arizona State or U. Washington. Also, I've heard mixed reviews about Purchase; I think I would check into Yale, Columbia or NYU before SUNY. As for Tennessee, Florida and Georgia State - I've got to get out of the south and into a city with a scene - a big city.

That's why they're fallbacks! B)

Really, check out anything in southern California. I think the LA art scene is more innovative and less ossified than NYC. ASU is possibly the nation's largest art school that's part of a university. There's something to be said for critical mass.

You might also look into SAIC if you're wanting a big city that's different from the south.

Oh! I can't believe I forgot Carnegie Mellon. They don't even have disciplinary divisions in their grad program. I find them kind of pretentious, but Pittsburgh is way cheaper to live in than some of these other places.

As far as I have read, they both offer some funding but neither is fully funded. What do you think about NYU's program? I know it's pretty small and interdisciplinary.

I'm not too sure where I would fit best but I think I have a good range of schools to apply to. Still thinking about Yale.

NYU's MFA program in art is not well-established. I would not recommend it for someone like you. Newer programs typically have fewer financial resources for students as well.

Seriously, I think you need to look at Carnegie-Mellon. And VCU, which is tops in sculpture.

yes you def have a good range of schools. I havent even looked into the NYU program too much. I just read you get a spacious studio in NYC and I was turned on - You went to VCU, do you have anything to say about there sculpture program? do you think it's as awesome as everyone says?

It really is. I loved VCU sculpture. And the people. It is worth being in Richmond for a million times over. I've lived in the Richmond area my whole life so it doesn't bother me at all, but I don't know how you would feel about Richmond if you are set for somewhere like NYC.

In that list, Rutgers and Bard are more or less your fallbacks. If you feel that the list is too long, my opinion is to edit out Yale, NYU, Berkeley, and Cranbrook. If you'd like more fallbacks (and you insist on getting out of the southeast), think about U. North Texas (huge--maybe as big as ASU) and maybe Cal State Fullerton or San Diego State.

Back in the day, it was possible to request application fee waivers if you were financially independent. I successfully did that with almost everyone when applying to grad schools. I think only Berkeley turned me down. (But that was years ago.) Worth investigating.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing i like about it; and an interest of my own, is working in a few different ways in parallel. I guess i'm finding that there is a huge gap between smaller programs that have come around - and can dig that; and others that are deeply divided (ruling them out).

• 6 months later...