Considering transfering (thinking about Rice, George Mason, Claremont)

elmk48

Hi,

I am in my first year of a phd program in political science, and I am considering transferring. I was wondering if anyone had advice as to the general difficulty of transferring, if it causes substantial delay, what type of financial aid is generally available (I have a pretty nice package from the university that I am at, and I am going to attempt to get a National Science Fellowship). Also if anyone has any info on Rice, GMU, or CGU, it'd be of interest.

Thanks

Generally, there's no such thing as a transfer per se. You just apply like every other applicant to the schools that interest you. If you get in, they may or may not accept some of the coursework you've completed for credit, depending on their own policies. Of the schools you've named, Rice is substantially more competitive than the others, IMHO.

The last comment is right, unless you are applying to move up in rankings from your current school. If that is not the case, an explanation is needed - but this can be as simple as a change in intellectual focus that would be better served by the new department, or a lack of funding at your current institution.

As for your questions: don't expect to get credit for a lot of coursework. Most departments want to ensure that students get their training. So yes, it will slow you down. In terms of funding, admission, etc. you are just treated (as a poster above said) like any other applicant.

In terms of the specific schools, I have fairly little info, except that my sense is that CGU has little to no funding for students.

Hello,

I think the big question they will want to know in the SOP is why.

Rice is above the school that I am at; GMU and CGU are around it but the fit is better in terms of what I actually want to research (which is different than what I wanted to research when I was applying).

On 9/17/2011 at 5:55 PM, Penelope Higgins said:

I'd simply explain that to the departments - and I would delete the name of your current school from your last post. Faculty like me are on this site, and it would not be too hard to figure out who you are with what you've listed here.

I don't believe that I have posted the school that I am attending...Definitely good advice though!