PhD in IR: Writing sample

pttlm

Hi all,

I plan to apply to various top tier PhDs in International Relations, but my most brilliant writing sample is not related to IR, but to the organizational structure and distribution of power in small religious groups. May it be possible to submit my paper on that issue, or will it spoil my application to PhD in IR?

I was even thinking about writing a paper on IR ad-hoc as the writing sample of the application... I don't know what to do...

Thank you sooooooo much for your help.

Sincerely

• 2 weeks later...

Since it is in a related field this shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would say it would work more so if you are interested in researching international law/organizations and conflict management of various groups than say subjects such as foreign policy or IR theory. Ultimately, just see how it fits with you research goals. It may be better than you think. You also must think about review time if you do decide to write something new. Will you have professors be willing to review it and have enough time to do a rewrite before you start submitting apps?

Edited by orst11