PhD admission (Low B.S GPA + average GRE) = ?

matinamir

Hello guys,

I got my B.Sc in mechanical engineering with a GPA of 12/20 it is equal to something between 2.4 and 2.6 .

I got my M.Sc in biomedical engineering with a GPA of 16.5/20 which is equal to something between 3.3 and 3.4 .

I have 5 years of work experience, 3 patents (one of them is U.S. patent), 5 papers (IEEE,ASME,journal of biomechanics)

I got 103 in TOEFL IBT and 800Q, 450V, 3.5W in GRE

what are my chances of getting into a PhD program in universities such as Washington University or UCLA ?

Thanks for your time and consideration

Hello guys,

I got my B.Sc in mechanical engineering with a GPA of 12/20 it is equal to something between 2.4 and 2.6 .

I got my M.Sc in biomedical engineering with a GPA of 16.5/20 which is equal to something between 3.3 and 3.4 .

I have 5 years of work experience, 3 patents (one of them is U.S. patent), 5 papers (IEEE,ASME,journal of biomechanics)

what are my chances of getting into a PhD program in universities such as Washington University or UCLA ?

Hello guys,

please someone help me!

I will reply, but I will note I am not in the engineering field so really this advice is just coming from another grad school applicant. I first want to recommend you to post something in the engineering forum, because you will probably find some people who can better advise you on your particular issues: http://forum.thegrad...32-engineering/

Secondly, since you have a M.Sc most places will look at both your undergrad and graduate gpa. Typically, most schools will pay more attention to your graduate level gpa because it shows you can do graduate level work, so really what I am saying is to have you recommendations and writing samples outshine any negative you may see.

Thirdly, you have both work experience and research experience which will be good. I imagine you are using one of your published articles as your writing sample so really not a big worry there. The one thing I wanted to point out was your 450 V because while the quant. section is more important in the sciences, when you are applying to top programs many people will have good verbal scores as well. I imagine your publications will help you as a applicant.

Also, what discipline are you applying for bio-engineering or mechanical, because this may help people with giving you advice?

Edited by orst11

I will reply, but I will note I am not in the engineering field so really this advice is just coming from another grad school applicant. I first want to recommend you to post something in the engineering forum, because you will probably find some people who can better advise you on your particular issues: http://forum.thegrad...32-engineering/

Secondly, since you have a M.Sc most places will look at both your undergrad and graduate gpa. Typically, most schools will pay more attention to your graduate level gpa because it shows you can do graduate level work, so really what I am saying is to have you recommendations and writing samples outshine any negative you may see.

Thirdly, you have both work experience and research experience which will be good. I imagine you are using one of your published articles as your writing sample so really not a big worry there. The one thing I wanted to point out was your 450 V because while the quant. section is more important in the sciences, when you are applying to top programs many people will have good verbal scores as well. I imagine your publications will help you as a applicant.

Also, what discipline are you applying for bio-engineering or mechanical, because this may help people with giving you advice?

Thank you for your advice

I just want to add some information on my research, maybe it helps to get some advice.

my master project was on rehabilitation robotics, which we designed and developed a novel robot for gait training

and both mechanical engineering and biomedical engineering groups work on such projects. Also I'm interested in acoustic and bio photonic specially their application in biomedical imaging . So I think I'll apply to both mechanical and biomedical engineering schools .