How to get research experience?

teachgirl22

I am hoping to gain admission into a highly selective Ed.D program within the next few years.

My background is...

3.6 gpa in undergrad- social science

4.0 gpa in masters- urban education

Teach For America alum

5 years successful teaching experience in low income schools

I have taken a practice GRE with very low scores- in the 400s... Yikes. So my plan is to apply the 2013-2014 year and spend this next year studying to raise my GRE score and also ideally gaining some research experience over the summer. However, how can I go about getting research experience? I can do it on a volunteer basis over the summer... Should I directly reach out to local professors doing research in areas aligned to my interests? When should I reach out to them? What should I write in my emails? Help help help!

Thanks in advance.

I am applying to sociology programs next year with basically the same plan as you- (re)take the GRE and get some research experience. Getting research experience is a bit tougher for we who are not currently in an undergrad program. On top of that, I am in the middle of nowhere. But I decided to email a professor at a nearby midsized university with an undergrad program in sociology fully expecting to not hear back. Basically I told him my situation and that I could help do pretty much any research for free. And I was right. I didn't hear anything back. But then a month later out of the blue he responded and said he had a couple of possibilities. Things have moved kind of slowly but I am currently helping with a couple of research projects doing basic lit review and data compilation stuff. He has been totally helpful for no apparent reason. I figured he would use his undergrad students for stuff like that. The research is close to my interests and I am hoping it will really bolster my applications.

All that to say that I would totally recommend reaching out to some profs. Just be honest about your interests but open to doing anything really. The initiative and experience will surely look good to admissions committees.

If you aren't having luck with professors you could also try reaching out to current PhD students. In my program, it is the PhD students who supervise the RAs: we select them, assign them work and write the initial draft of their letters (for our PI to edit and sign). Many programs have current students and their interests listed on their websites.

You didn't get research experience getting your MS degree? That's how I got mine. I completed my MS program (with thesis) at a local state school. I think this will really help me with admission to PhD programs because I can use my thesis as my writing sample, and I can talk about my research interests in my SoP. I think assisting with research might be okay, but it's definitely not a substitute for conducting your own research.