dilemma about grad school

Atkum

I'm a working professional and have been doing it for about a year now. I work in a clinical laboratory of a hospital as a lab technologist. I'm planning to work for 2 more years and then go to grad school to get a PhD in biological sciences (most likely Immunology or Microbiology). In these two years I want to take some grad school courses, but I don't know what kind of program to go for. I was thinking of getting a MBA, but I can't decide the concentration. I was also thinking of MPH, but not sure about that either. I want t work as a research scientist and teach at college level in the future. I would like to get enrolled into a program, that makes my resume look good when I apply to grad school in the future. Does anyone have any idea, what kind of program would be suitable for me? I would hate to not take advantage of this as the hospital I work for will pay almost all my tuition.

So you just want to get a degree to take advantage of tuition reimbursement? In that case, won't a MS degree be more useful? Or have you already gotten your MS? Because you could use the MS-level courses toward your PhD later,provided you don't use those courses to gradaute. So that way, you will be saving some credits/money. MPH also sounds good! But not sure if MBA is for you. Or if you are keen on the MBA then a health domain specific MBA should be good.

I don't know that an MBA would be really beneficial unless you want a position involving management in the future. Based on your interest in micro/immuno, maybe an MPH with a concentration in toxicology or epidemiology? The school may or may not offer that (in my understanding, epi is common, toxicology less so). Don't take courses just because you can; take courses that you find interesting.

Well, the natural marriage of MBA and MPH is an MHA (Masters in Hospital Administration).

But if you're excited about Epi, look at MPH in Infectious Diseases (Johns Hopkins, Emory, etc.). It's another major department you might be interested in if you're doing immunology work.

I am looking into MPH program. Epidemiology of all the concentrations excites me the most. I am going to get more details on it. Thanks, for the response.

goood luck!