MA in Ancient History vs MA in Classics

Byzantist

I'm currently in my last year of my undergrad (Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies, Minor in Humanities) and I'm looking to continue my studies up through PhD work. Right now I'm trying to decide between the Ancient History or Classics MA, and I was wondering if you could help me out here. Pros/Cons for the different programs, best schools for each (I'm most interested in the Eastern Mediterranean between 200 BC and 200 AD, but I like it all), different opportunities from each. Any and all help appreciated!

Well I'm not a classics person, so I can't comment on exact places, but I would say it would come down to your focus more than anything really. Are you more interested in the history or the classics side of things? If your interests are that early, I would assume you are more in the classics part (though correct me if I'm wrong by all means), so your PhD would end up being in a classics program. Thus, you're probably better off having training in the entire field, rather than just history. Have you looked in Post-Bac stuff as well? Also, although I'm clearly not a classicist, I know that languages are really key there. What's your training like with Greek, Latin, and German or French? Hope that helps tease out where you're at so that maybe some people can give you some more specifics.

If you wanted to go into Classics, you'd need advanced (Junior/Senior-level) credit in either Greek or Latin, and preferably both for most programs. If you didn't get it in your undergrad, you'd probably want to do a post-bacc, because you'd be making it up in graduate school, anyway. Most programs that I have been looking at require 3-4 advanced courses in one language, some require both. You'd probably want those for history, anyway, but history wouldn't require study in the original languages.

If you wanted to go into Classics, you'd need advanced (Junior/Senior-level) credit in either Greek or Latin, and preferably both for most programs. If you didn't get it in your undergrad, you'd probably want to do a post-bacc, because you'd be making it up in graduate school, anyway. Most programs that I have been looking at require 3-4 advanced courses in one language, some require both. You'd probably want those for history, anyway, but history wouldn't require study in the original languages.

I second all you said on languages, so that's the key for the OP. I would, however, disagree that you don't need the original languages for history. You certainly need to be able to at least translate the primary source material - even if you aren't a philologist.

Well I've taken a year of Hebrew and Greek, and I'm starting to learn German right now, as well as Latin (though both informally). From the programs I've looked at those are all important requirements (languages, that is) so I definitely see your points there. From the way things are looking, for either a history or classics program, it seems that some leveling work is required.

For classics, what programs would y'all recommend looking into? What schools should be avoided?

Um, I'm sorry to be blunt, but you simply don't have the language background for graduate work in classics. Google "classics ma" to get a sampling of what you'll be expected to handle once you're in the program, as well as admissions requirements. (ETA: I'm assuming that "one year of Greek" is the standard introduction-New Testament two semester sequence. If it was in fact a year of Greek comparable to my Latin class last fall, my assessment changes, and--you have my eternal sympathy.)

If you really want to do classics, consider a post-bacc year at Penn or someplace to get your languages up to speed. Expensive, but worth it.

On the plus side, you're probably on track for a history MA. Just plan to take more language classes once you're there. :)

Edited by Sparky