New/Revised GRE questions

As I'm sure many others out there are like me, studying for the New GRE, I've come across some issues I'd love to get some feed back from those who have already taken the New GRE. My brain is half scrambled, so forgive me for any typos.

I've noticed that some of the verbal questions on the practice tests do not say "select all that apply" or "select the best two answers" and yet the answer key in the back of the book has two answers selected... I'm aware that ALL correct answers must be selected to get any credit for the question, but I'm wondering how I'm supposed to know if I should select multiple answers if the question doesn't ask for it? Should I just start clicking boxes and the day of the test and see which questions let me select multiple answers? Am I missing something?

THANK YOU I swear I've been looking at these prep guides and never noticed any correlation between the ovals and squares! However, I'm going to complicated that by asking about the "Select a sentence in which the author..." So in my prep guide, it says "select a sentence..." but in the answer key in the back it also lists two answers for this question. For anyone curious, I'm currently working my way through the Princeton Review Cracking the NEW GRE guide, the question is on page 416, answer on page 439.

Does the computer exam give you the option of selecting two sentences for these types of questions?

I didn't have a "select the sentence" question on any of my verbal sections (I had three, including the experimental), but on the power prep software there was one, and you could only select one sentence. I'm pretty sure you highlight one and if you try to highlight a second it unhighlights the first, but I could be wrong.

BTW, slightly unrelated but my vocab was all laughably easy. The only time the verbal section was hard was i) reading comp and ii) when the sentences were so vague that anything seemed to work. In my second section that happened a lot, but I still knew all the words being thrown at me (literally every single one), just not which ones fit the context since there practically was no context. I ended up with a 670-770 (scored 730-800 on power prep grrr) and I'm almost positive every question I missed was reading comp-related and in the second section. Damn science passages.

Good luck and don't stress too much!

I didn't have a "select the sentence" question on any of my verbal sections (I had three, including the experimental), but on the power prep software there was one, and you could only select one sentence. I'm pretty sure you highlight one and if you try to highlight a second it unhighlights the first, but I could be wrong.

BTW, slightly unrelated but my vocab was all laughably easy. The only time the verbal section was hard was i) reading comp and ii) when the sentences were so vague that anything seemed to work. In my second section that happened a lot, but I still knew all the words being thrown at me (literally every single one), just not which ones fit the context since there practically was no context. I ended up with a 670-770 (scored 730-800 on power prep grrr) and I'm almost positive every question I missed was reading comp-related and in the second section. Damn science passages.

Good luck and don't stress too much!

clairecate,

You are spot on. I took the new GRE on Tuesday, and I agree completely. I also did not have any of the 'highlight' this sentence question, nor did I have any 'main' idea, 'topic' sentence, 'scope' questions. I also did surprisingly well on the verbal (610-710), so-so on the math (didn't study a bit), and we shall see on the Analytical. I read somewhere that people generally score lower when there is a new test. Anyone have any thoughts on this? My last GRE (last year) was atrocious. I took more precautions this time around & listened to vocab in the car--as opposed to flash cards--but I am curious as to how others fared on the verbal section.

I read something in the Kaplan book this year that changed the way I thought about the GRE. This might seem a bit fluffy, but it said "Don't think about the GRE as a hurdle, but as a moment to show off your intelligence." I read that the morning of, and it helped a lot!

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by USTgrad