Question about transcripts. Pls Help!

lapdog

Hi, I am switching phd programs (to a different field entirely) after finding out that the first program (which I attended for a year) was not a good fit for me. do i need to produce the transcript from this program for the new phd programs that I am applying to - even though the grades from my first program weren't very good?

If I were to do this, is there a possibility that the new program will find out about it somehow?

Has anyone done this before?

Edited by lapdog

Almost certainly yes. Every school I applied to asked for all transcripts from all universities attended.

Will they find out if you decided to NOT submit transcripts? Again, almost certainly yes, eventually. Lying on admissions documents is the type of thing that gets you expelled.

What will you do when people at the new school ask what you're doing now? Lie to your new colleagues too?

Bad idea all around. Take your lumps -- "As you can see from my transcript, that last program was not a good fit... but here's why I am confident that your new program IS a good fit..." You'll probably need to explain why you were wrong last time, but right now.

Edited by lewin00