Who are all you people posting results?

t_ruth

Yeah! 2 people applying to UC Riverside have already been interviewed, and their deadlines were just on 01/02/09. I almost applied to the Developmental Program, but I applied to the Social-Personality program instead, although I did list a Developmental faculty member as a person I'd like to collaborate with. I had forgotten at first that I had applied to S-P instead of Development, and I panicked for a second that I had not been contacted yet. I was at work for 6 hours today, and I just paced around the sales floor dreading decisions, checking my e-mail and grad school forums, and daydreaming about acceptances.

I want your stats, people. I'm also curious about what was asked during your interviews, although I can understand not revealing too much if you're worried about other applicants getting an upper hand.

Is it that they have been interviewed already or that they were notified that they were going to receive an interview? I figured the latter, and that now they would have to schedule it.

and do different areas w/in Psychology do their decisions at different times? I'm only applying to one Psychology Department - my other applications are with the College of Ed., but I still want to know...

It looks like someone on livejournal (applying to grad group) has already had their phone interview hours after receiving an e-mail. I can't say for all schools, but at UCLA for example, the professors I contacted with said that their decisions are made separately. That may be more expected from a school like UCLA though, because their program has different deadlines for different sub-specialties.

where on livejournal are their psych results for this year? I only see one post and no comments... can you post a link?

always looking for more places to obsess ;)

thanks!

Can I just ask everyone who is posting results on the results search to PLEASE specify your area of psychology (ie social, developmental, clinical, etc)?

I won't freak out so much when I see interviews and acceptances posted for schools I applied to if I know you applied to a different sub field. :|

Thanks and good luck to all of you!!

Can I ask whether any clinical applicants have heard from Yale or Berkeley? Berkeley I guess isn't notifying people till later in the month, but I wondered whether any superstar applicants heard something early. I started getting a couple interviews, which is great, but that simultaneously makes me paranoid about who I haven't heard from.

Check it out:

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/paper-trail ... t-cut.html

Does anyone know if these cuts apply to graduate school enrollments as well? The article only states "freshman" enrollment will be decreased, and says nothing regarding grad school admissions.

Although the flagships aren't decreasing, this is still unsettling considering I applied to most of the UC's...

:?

SharperImage, rest assured that your UC graduate chances remain unchanged by the CA budget cutbacks for undergraduate admissions. You can read more about it in a link posted to the "admissions" section in the thread titled something like "I wonder how this will affect CA public institutions". (Sorry, I don't know how to paste a link from another part of this website.) It explicitly states that graduate enrollment is safe from these cutbacks.

So, yay for you -- your chances are still good! (And mine, too. :) )

Sorry to be negative, but I was told by a faculty member at UC Davis that the budget cuts mean less funding for grad students this coming year. He didn't say whether they would be admitting fewer students, just mentioned that funding was in jeopardy.

That's a fair comment, weeble. I was just addressing the question about grad admissions only.

Wonder if extra emphasis this season will be on applicants with extramural funding. Unfortunately, I'm not one of 'em.

Same here, MacDuff. I would imagine that would make a huge difference, particularly this year.

Posted this in the Social Psych forum, but I suppose it applies here as well...for any USC applicants:

Dear Applicant, If you received an email inviting you to Graduate Preview Day by the Office of Admissions, please be aware that this is a generic email that was sent to all graduate applicants who apply to USC.

The Department of Psychology admission committee members are currently evaluating applications. This process will continue through February and likely into March.

Let the waiting continue...

What a cruel email message from USC, ShaperImage! Sheesh.

FWIW, I spoke with a UC psych faculty member who said that things are definitely still up in the air with regard to funding. Perhaps a key question to ask during an interview will be how well funded a professor is (e.g., do they have current grants? When does/do the grant(s) expire?) and if any of their grants explicitly include funding for a grad student. One of my current profs said that this can help to offset any cuts in university or departmental funding.

Sorry to be negative, but I was told by a faculty member at UC Davis that the budget cuts mean less funding for grad students this coming year. He didn't say whether they would be admitting fewer students, just mentioned that funding was in jeopardy.

Some people might find this useful to consider:

The faculty in my department are waiting to hear about some large grants which will allow them to fund several graduate students next year. The granting institutions (NIH, NSF) haven't released the results yet, and they have recently found out why. Many of these places are waiting to see what Obama does with the budget after he is sworn in before they make grant decisions. That could mean in some cases that admissions decisions are delayed, pending grant decisions. Know what I mean?