University of Michigan

superfluousflo

I am not sure if this is well-known but I just heard from a faculty member at Michigan that they are not accepting applications for the PhD in History this year. You can still apply to one of the joint programs.

I was surprised and disheartened to find out.

They just posted it on the front of their graduate history page. It says that they took too big of a class last year.

Kind-of ironic given the bump in funding per student offered to the 2011 cycle. Oh well, at least Michigan will graduate some of its hundred Americanists. Hopefully.

Edit: Hopefully for the students applying for 2013, that is.

Edited by sankd

I think that may be why. $23K is certainly much higher and provides great quality of life in Ann Arbor compared to other places. But Michigan should have expected this when it was deciding how to make its offer off admissions. Not to 30-something people but how much it really can actually afford without suspending admissions for the following year.

oh, i feel diappointed. i hope this is not the case for near eastern studies department where i was planning to apply to. for those saying that they should have expected this, i would say that this sometimes cannot be predicted because they admit more students than than the number of students in the entering class just because some get more than one acceptances and choose other schools.