Do I need to take the revised GRE again? Phd History or Middle East Studies

uhohlemonster

Hi!

Just took the revised GRE on Sept 23. Found that it went okay (as long as the section that totally freaked me out was the experimental section.) My score rangers were 460-560Q and 610-710V. My ideal score was 500 for Q and 670-700 for V. Do you think I'll need to take it again? I wish we weren't part of this test round where they dont know our percentiles. Totally unfair!

I'm applying for PHD programs in history and middle east studies, so I'm just not sure how much it matters...

Thoughts?

First I recommend checking out the interdisciplinary forum where maybe you can get a better idea for Middle East programs and what it takes to be admitted to given programs, here is the link: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/82-interdisciplinary-studies/. Also check out the History forum: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/38-history/

Secondly, what type of programs are you looking at applying to? I think a lot of us would be able to give you a better idea if you said a few places you are considering. Also just consider all the possibilities with the scores, you could end up with below 500 in the verbal and in the low 600's for quant. although I find this unlikely. if you were to get means your quant. section may be slightly out of your desired range which would then make you consider a retake. Finally, the likelihood of scoring the lowest possible or highest possible in both ranges given by ETS is unlikely with the type of score you received.

Overall, I think you may have to wait and see, because your desired scores are in the range given just currently there isn't a way to tell what you actually score. Trust me we all are hating the waiting process.