Should I accept the money or hold out?

Guest Trav

I was accepted to a Ph.D. program and they offered me what appears to be a fairly decent financial package, but they want me to accept it by March 22. I still haven't heard from two schools. I thought they were supposed to give you until April 15? Any advice?

What they are doing is not ethical. NRC rules say that you have until April 15th, so you do. Just tell them honestly that you are seriously considering their offer, but cannot yet accept.

I am having the same problem. I've been accepted to Kent State with a teaching assistantship and I have until next Friday to accept the position. They said the offer of admission stands until April 15, but the assistanship will be given to someone else if I don't accept by next Friday. I'm waitlisted at Ohio State, which is where I would prefer to go, and I'm number 2 on the waitlist, so I think it's possible I could get in. I'm planning on just accepting the position at Kent if I don't hear back from OSU within the next week and then if I get in after next Friday, tell Kent I'm sorry but I got a better offer. My acceptance letter says if I accept and then want to back out after April 25th, I need permission in writing from graduate school or someone, I can't remember who. I think if they're giving you a deadline like that, it's acceptable to accept it and then turn them down later if need be.

I would (very nicely, espeically since you may end up there) mention the NRC thing to them. Perhaps asking it in a question form. Something like "I am a little confused, I talked to my other school and they said that I am waitlisted and may not know until the 15th because they give until the NRC deadline. Are you guys part of the NRC Resolution? I would also anonymously tell the NRC what they are doing, expecially if you don't end up going there. They totally suck though and I wouldn't trust them with later financial help unless you read the fineprint *thoroughly* and or with a lawyer.

Guest Guest

It does say in the link gt6 posted that if you accept anything before April 15, you may resign it before April 15 without penalty. It may be worth avoiding the hassle just to accept it, then resign if OSU comes through. I'd hate for you to lose your offer of funding, and then have to try and fight for it, al of which jeopardizes your future funding at Kent. I hope OSU comes through for you, though!