Sneak Attack on the Beast: the Lit GRE

Hi all,

I'm trying to develop a plan of attack for the Literature GRE--I'd prefer to take it this April so I don't have to worry about it during my application season next year (the last thing I want to do is take that monster while finishing up my thesis and putting together apps next fall).

I have the Princeton Review book, and the Nortons of course, but my background is more in cultural studies and film than literature, so I feel really behind, and I'm kind of terrified. So my question is...

Has anyone found any other effective study guides besides the PR book?

Has anyone considered looking through the SAT Literature study guides? The AP Lit study guides? Would these be helpful?

I'm not very good at test-taking, but I find the study guide books incredibly helpful. I'm kind of bummed that there's really only 1 for this test, and very few practice exams. I've printed out all of the Vade Mecum, so I guess maybe there's nothing more I can do... just looking for as many shortcuts and tips as possible.

Thanks fer yer input. B)

Unfortunately, when dealing with a 230 question test based on centuries and centuries of literature, there are bound to be very few shortcuts. Personally, I've enjoyed the PR study guide bc it helps to determine which texts we should give a complete read through, and which ones should only be selectively reviewed.

Also, since I have heard there will be questions on literary vocabulary, I'd recommend picking up a copy of A Glossary of Literary Terms by M H Abrams.