Suddenly, I like the sound of plan B...

ridgey

It seems I'm winning the "who can start the most threads" competition. Probably not a good sign.

So four of my applications are in, and there are two to go. I'm honestly not sure if I'm that excited about the applications I have left to do (but, I think I should probably trust my reasoning and judgement from however many months ago when I was choosing schools more than my judgement now). I think I screwed up my applications to three of the four schools I already applied to. Leaving me to think about plan B.

Which, at the moment, is finding a job or even an internship in a research group that does exactly what I'm interested in. And travelling. It had been the more generic "find a job" and travel, and that had been less exciting. But the realisation that I can do work I find meaningful - well, that's exciting. And will strengthen next year's applications, which is always a good thing.

Now, I'm almost - almost - thinking that only two of the prgorammes I've applied to are really SO good as to trump plan B. Of course, it's highly likely that this is a sub-concious "protect myself from dissappointment" thing. But it's nice to not view this whole time as if it will result in either a good or a bad outcome. This waiting time has felt so disempowering, as groups of people have been getting together to decide my fate. It's good to be reminded that I still get to make decisions about my own future regardless of admission/rejection.

For those who have entertained the possibility of across the board rejection, what is your Plan B? Do yo feel even slightly positive about it?

I wouldn't start counting yourself out yet. Although the waiting becomes painful, it may be best to just let things rest and relax (once you finish your last two apps.) and then start worrying about Plan B once you've had time to decompress.

As for my Plan B - when I did this last year, I ended up taking a Master's program as a conciliation prize, which has turned into an amazing Plan B. Had I not received the Master's I would have certainly left my job and gone traveling for at least part of the summer, with the intent of resuming work (hopefully more meaningful than my last) in the fall.

This year, I am more optimistic, so I don't have a solid Plan B, but it would probably entail 1) Teaching Community College (or being a lecturer somewhere) 2) working at a think tank, or 3) taking whatever job is available and will pay the bills. All of which would probably come after taking at least a month to travel and relax.

Cheers,

My plan B is to stay where I am and find a new and better job this spring or summer (I work in a semi-seasonal field, so winter is not the time for job hunting), probably doing evening courses toward a relevant certificate or MA. It's actually a pretty good plan B because I like where I live, and the thought of moving several states away to some of the schools, even one which has a great program, sometimes seems far less attractive than just staying where I am. I can see myself getting a graduate degree...and I can see myself not...and frankly, both are still on the table.

I think having a Plan B you like is a good thing - it's just one more option, with pros and cons, that might be worth considering despite the amount of time and money you spent applying to grad school. We'll know what it's worth when we get decisions back.

My plan B is to leave the country.

Dramatic? Actually, it would be an excuse to live abroad teaching English. I've lived in Europe before, and I'd love to go away somewhere again...plus working on language skills and travel experience could help my app... (already have a masters)

With all my applications submitted and pessimism starting to settle in, I've been thinking about Plan B for awhile now.

I'm a biology major, which means most of my jobs (at least in my geographical area) are limited to medical research or food quality assurance. My interests lean more toward environmental microbiology, but I realize that with the prospect of no-longer-deferred student loans, beggars can't be choosers. Ideally, I'd be able to find work in one of the local engineering consultant firms that hire scientists to test water, soil, etc. before digging mines, or maybe even work with the DNR. Positions are limited between the two of those, and they generally are looking for chemists, environmental scientists, and wildlife biologists.

There are a good number of jobs available locally for entry level Bio majors. A private genetics consulting place seems to be always on the lookout for new lab workers, and there are several positions open for researchers in a medical college a couple hours away.

Ideally, I would want to stay where I'm at -- I've got a nice apartment at a nice price that my boyfriend (who, thankfully, is quite rootless and able to tag along no matter I end up going) and I are quite settled into. To move for a year in order to find work, reapply to schools, then hopefully get somewhere only to have to move again seems like a bit of a pain.

I feel like I've prepared this whole time for "grad school" skills. My job seeking skills are limited to retail (my paid research positions didn't require any formal interview or resume), so at this point I'm doing a lot of brushing up on interview etiquette, resume writing, etc. and some finger crossing.

I think you are just feeling general anxiety from the wait for an admissions decision. I think it is not as bad as you think. In my case, if I were rejected across the board, I would be disappointed naturally. But I have a nice job that I would stay at while looking at other options I will be putting into place come spring if that were to happen.

Plan B is currently to apply to NATO, failing that go out to the Middle East for 6 months or a year, get work experience that pays enough to put food on the table and get my Arabic up to a good standard and reapply.

The local state university has a very late application date. I can apply after 4/15 and still get into their MS program. I'm already taking classes there & doing research with a professor so I'm relatively sure of my chances of success...