Nonacademic Career Path Looked Down Upon?

cogscipixie

Hi all,

I've just started my doctoral work in cognitive psychology/cognitive science. Prior, I was working at a different R1 university in a interdisciplinary research center setting, and got to see what went on behind the scenes of a different cognitive psychology program. I knew that I wanted to get a PhD in cognitive science doing educationally applied research in memory and text processing. However, I'm already starting to feel like people in my own lab at my own university as well as on grad cafe think that I made a careless decision by thinking I could go down the "nontraditional" path by seeking out mentors from both inside and outside the academy that have used their cognitive science degree in industry research. It's frustrating to not be able to change the system that I'm in that wants their students to go R1 (which is close to impossible these days) or become a failure. I've seen lots of bright people go directly into great cognitive research positions in industry right after defending their dissertations. I just want to make sure I am open to a lot of career possibilities in case going into an R1 isn't right for me. Am I wrong for thinking this way? It's just frustrating to see such negative comments from others telling me "I didn't think this out clearly." I thought this out for over 4 years. I knew I wanted to get my PhD awhile ago, but it took me several years to really pin down my interests, which ended up being very applied.

In my experience, you'll have naysayers on both sides of the fence (i.e. people who say you'll never get an academic job or people who say industry is the sub par choice) so I would just smile and if they say something really inappropriate-- I would just say, "wow." Nothing more and nothing else. It tends to make people not elaborate and stop throwing in their two cents.

I agree with you. I am not sure why people want to tell you that you haven't thought this out clearly when they may know nothing about you -or- even worse, just met you! It's rude, but I also find it funny because I have had it happen to me a couple times now. Sometimes their generalizations or statements of "fact" are so wacky that you have to laugh a bit or at least smile at their expense. I assume they are projecting their own negative experiences onto you. Don't let them.

Honestly at the end of the day, you'll have to live the day-to-day in whatever path you choose, not them. I think it is smart to keep your options open and explore all possibilities. Generally, industry jobs tend to be more plentiful and have better compensation (at least in my field) which is an added bonus. Since you have thought about this extensively, you'll be better prepared for your career options than the other folks who just want to parrot the masses. Good luck.

Not in Psych, so I can't comment there, but in my department either path is supported by the faculty. They want you to be up front about what you see yourself doing down the road, so they can help suggest opportunities and guide your research to be more up that alley.

For those of us that want to teach in the long run, there are more teaching opportunities. For people that want to go into industry, more applied research/collaborations with industry.

Ours may not be the norm, however....

I just found out only 3/15 of the PhD students my supervisor has graduated have gone on to be profs, and I don't think he likes that very much. Kind of explains some of the questions he's asked me about my future goals. Clearly both paths are supported here, although I think he'd like a few more people to go the academia route.