anyone

sunshine6

Anthropology here.

I'm playing my subfield close to the vest because it's an obscure specialty that almost nobody is in, so I'm not going to divulge anything until all the chips are down. There's always the off, off chance that someone from an adcom could recognize me online. :shock:

The fact that my specialty is obscure made my applications very difficult, as almost no programs have anyone who deals with it. I had to apply to several schools that *almost* fit and compensate in my statements about why I wanted to go there.

Just got my last one in yesterday. Now I'm terrified.

Hi everyone! I feel similar about having a really specific subfield...we'll find out when acceptances come in if it was the same one ;) Haven't heard anything yet, in fact I still have one application to finish (due Feb. 1). Good luck!

thanks sunshine6, you too! it's nice to have someone else to wait it out with.

what's your sub-discipline? i'm physical.

you wouldn't happen to know of any good tattoo shops in austin? i might be visiting (pleasure, not business) in the next month or so.

i heard (kind of, extremely vague) about funding at one of my schools, but not admissions? seems a little backwards to me, but at this point i'm over analyzing everything.

erudite,

sorry it took me so long to reply, there are tons of shops in town,,,what kind of work do you want done? That can narrow it down considerably.

I got a teaser email from ASU titled "PhD in Anthropology Application" telling me that "currently we are missing the following materials: none "

and that they plan on making decisions in March.

March. It is going to be a long couple of months. sigh...

I applied for mainly bio-archaeology and a few forensic anth programs. fyi

erudite,

sorry it took me so long to reply, there are tons of shops in town,,,what kind of work do you want done? That can narrow it down considerably.

I got a teaser email from ASU titled "PhD in Anthropology Application" telling me that "currently we are missing the following materials: none "

and that they plan on making decisions in March.

March. It is going to be a long couple of months. sigh...

I applied for mainly bio-archaeology and a few forensic anth programs. fyi

I'm working on a traditional half sleeve, but I've heard there are great places for trad work in Austin.

I got that same letter at work and was all kinds of worked up about it before I opened the email, those jerks. Although I've heard that a few of the faculty have been calling around and asking recommenders about candidates.

I'm looking to do paleoanthropology, btw.

I would check out John Reed of True Blue Tattoo, on Red River. The ONLY place I would go that is downtown. Also I have been very impressed by the work coming out of Rock Of Ages on South Lamar, I have some work from Tony, but Jason is very good as well.

I hope I hear something soon... let me rephrase, I hope I hear something positive soon!

Another anthropologist here - cultural/linguistic, though, so it doesn't sound like I'm actually competing for spots with most of you. Sunshine, erudite, I applied to ASU as well, and got that same stupid email. That subject line really freaked me out, I thought they'd already decided to flat-out reject me, maybe my application was so bad they just burst out laughing and chucked it in the trash can.........

Anyhow, I only applied to four programs - not many fit well, and I'm already in a MA program so finances are tight - and I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least the end of this month. So I'm trying my best to keep the mailbox-refreshing and mailman-stalking to a minimum for the moment. Hopefully the anthropology gods will smile on my efforts!