What schools would be a good fit for my impressionistic/pointillism style?

vtna

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while, but I'm still stumped on programs that would be a good fit for my style of work. I'm planning on applying for Fall 2012.

My]http://alizey.tumblr.com/ Here's my portfolio. Lately I've been concentrating on space art (I'm planning on branching out more into surrealism now, hiding figures and scenes in nebulas) and pointillism, but I still have a few good months to improve my portfolio, so any criticism would be much appreciated.

So far I like the work coming out of the New York Academy, and I've heard good things about Yale but I'm not sure the cost is worth the brand name (although I have a professor who graduated from Yale and is encouraging me to apply there). I live in South Carolina. Are there any good fallback painting programs to fit my style in this state/region? Are there any good schools that would like my work? I'm most comfortable with East Coast schools, although I would be fine with going out West if the program was a good match for me.

Also, do I need to take the GRE for MFA applications?

Thanks so much!

Please take this as constructive criticism--

First, watch your writing. "Pointillism style" should be "pointillist style," or better still for your case, "pointillistic style." That's a kind of freshman level error that will not go over well in a graduate school application. Phrases such as "my style of work" are also really awkward and unsophisticated. Saying you're concentrating on "space art" does not sound very sophisticated, either. You mean that you've turned to depictions of outer space, correct? Say it that way. Space itself is not the art. You're gong to have to work hard to theorize your work on a graduate school level.

Second, after looking at your link, I can only see one work that relates either to Impressionism OR pointillism. There are many different types of work there, and they do not make a cohesive portfolio. I would discourage you from trying to use those figure paintings to try to get into a graduate school. That one pointillist landscape is attractive, but what is in it to distinguish it from Seurat or Signac? In fact, a lot of that work seems very close to that of various historical figures.

I believe you're going to have to have a serious chat with various faculty in order to put together a coherent portfolio. Seek out people that you know are not sympathetic to your work in order to get the most criticism. You also may have to do more work in a particular vein in order to convince committees you are serious. It's possible that you just need to wait a little while to apply until your ideas have settled down more.