Geography

rising_star

Sonny, you speak my language! With little else to go on, my decision has been based very much on the "feel" of the department -- and the way in which they respond (or don't) to emails is an important part of this. Anyway, your list looks very strong whichever place you accept, and I hope you end up somewhere that you can do yourself justice.

In terms of my interests, they are fairly broad at this stage -- although they would fall squarely within most definitions of "cultural geography". My undergraduate dissertation is based on popular geopolitics literature (or "cultural geopolitics" as some people like to call it), and this whole area of critical geopolitics interests me. However, in the future I would love to be able to focus on cultural landscape. I have an idea of either taking some of the ideas of Debord and/or Walter Benjamin's themes and approaches to the city, and applying them in a rural context, or else taking Heidegger's notion of "dwelling" and ideas of non-human agency from rural literatures and applying them in an urban context. Very much general ideas at this stage (I much prefer the second one) -- but that's where I'm coming from.

What about you? I mean, "population" is a large area -- what kinds of approaches/literatures/contexts are you interested in? So you're from the Phillipines. Random question -- do you know where the city of Lucena is?

Rising -- I wouldn't pretend to offer advice! All I can say is what I would do (i.e. what I did): First, I listed the three offers that were in the running. I rated them 1st to 3rd for weather (i.e. sunniness), amount of money offered (higher = better), helpfulness and politeness of emails received (obvious), and likelihood of major country music artist performing nearby (i.e. whether Toby Keith would be there this year), and then added up the scores and arrived at the answer. However, at that point I'd already decided from an academic point of view which offers I could accept. So, by that method, I arrived at Kentucky. Having said that, I would have skewed the questions to arrive at that answer. Bottom line would be, in my opinion, go with your instinctive opinion (if you have one). Or else, flip a coin.

I am particularly interested in issues within the nexus of migration, urbanization and development. Most of my recent researches have dealt with population deconcentration in Metro Manila and how such has shaped and created the Manila Mega-Urban Region. Basically, my dissertation will tackle this and, issues emanating from this broad topic (e.g. environmental impact of migration of metropolitan inhabitants; changing housing preferences). Since most of the literature have dealt with urban regions of the developed world, it is very interesting to see what are the dynamics taking place in third world settings like that of Manila MUR.

I cannot wait to start my Ph.D. and dissertation. I actually miss being a student. It has been 4 years since I was part of a class (as a student). Anyway, I am currently busy burning databases and base maps to CDs which will be used for my dissertation.

Do you know when and where the next AAG conference will be? Have you decided where to go for your Ph.D.? Kentucky? I think it is cool to include miscellaneous factors (e.g. probability of country music artists performing in the area) in your decision. I would have picked a city/town where 80s artists would frequently hold concerts (e.g. Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper). :)

I know where Lucena City is. It is the capital of Quezon province and is several kilometers south of Manila. Actually, my permanent residence is in a nearby province. Have you been to the Philippines?

-Sonny

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have finally decided on where to do my Ph.D. in the US - Indiana University, Bloomington. Since IIE-Fulbright did all the negotiations with the universities, I really don't know the dynamics behind the application/admission process. I had to make a decision today during a meeting with the local Fulbright officers. Anyway, here is the list and admission results:

1. UCLA - as of today, the UCLA Dept of Geography has not yet responded as to the status of my application. I can't believe that the Dep't has not yet made a decision. It's just "accept" or "reject." Frankly, I am disappointed coz they have kept "us" (IIE-Fulbright...and me)waiting. I would have at least preferred a "rejection" rather than "no response." Is it normal for UCLA's Geog Dep't to take thing long a period of time before making a decision [calling...guesty_guest]? For me, this reflects what sense of professionalism the Department has (What's with UC schools? I experienced something with another UC school in the past when I attempted to apply in 2004 - w/o a Fulbrighg grant -...the graduate secretary did not reply to any of my numerous inquiries about my application...my prospective adviser was eventually the one who told me what steps to take during the admission process)

2. U of Minnesota - admitted but no financial assistance (to cost-share with Fulbright)

3. U of Georgia - admitted but "minimal" financial assistance

4. U of Maryland - unofficial admission (the Departmant is still waiting for the official papers from the University) with "minimal" financial assistance

5. Indiana Univeristy - admitted with TAship (Associate Instrutor) and this will almost cover everything that Fulbright will have allocated to me :)

I am actually excited coz two faculty members in the Geog Dep't in IU are into population geography (although I haven't corresponded with them yet).

So, when do we have a "Geography thegradcafe" coffee session in the US this coming Fall School Opening?

-Sonny

Haven't made a decision yet. Just found out I got into the MA program at the University of Miami with an assistantship. Only thing is their dept is very unknown because the grad program is very recent. On the other hand, they have a lot of profs working on third world development in Africa, South Asia, and Latin America which is a huge plus in my book. I didn't need another monkey-wrench in my decision-making process.

My thesis is due Monday at 3pm. I have to have it to the binder by 3am Monday... :shock:

Lol. My thesis is due on Monday too. My advisor was even too lazy to go over it and told me to take it to the Writing Center to have them look over it. :(

Seems like you have a tough choice to make!!! Good luck with that!

Guest guesty guest

i believe that the next AAG meeting will be in san francisco, probably in march or april. i'm looking forward to it, as i now live in the bay area and can see a few old friends when they come up for the meeting!

Guest guesty guest

sonny - as for admissions decisions, when i applied (four years ago), i remember hearing back from them relatively early. i do know, though, that there have been some significant (and very recent) changes in the administrative staff in the department, so this might have something to do with the delay.

still, that's no excuse, and i think it's ridiculous to make you wait this long.

Haven't made a decision yet. Just found out I got into the MA program at the University of Miami with an assistantship. Only thing is their dept is very unknown because the grad program is very recent. On the other hand, they have a lot of profs working on third world development in Africa, South Asia, and Latin America which is a huge plus in my book. I didn't need another monkey-wrench in my decision-making process.

My thesis is due Monday at 3pm. I have to have it to the binder by 3am Monday... :shock:

Hmmm...if you do consider this offer, you can view it in such a way that you will be part of the growth of the Department. But do you have a faculty adviser who is "strong" in your specialization? If yes...I guess this offer is hard to resist...:) ahem. If you think both you and the Department will "grow" together...then you may consider their offer. Good luck on your thesis. I swear my experience doing my master's thesis was like a trip to hell. :(

-Sonny

Lol. My thesis is due on Monday too. My advisor was even too lazy to go over it and told me to take it to the Writing Center to have them look over it. :(

Seems like you have a tough choice to make!!! Good luck with that!

:) Good luck to you on your thesis. Where are you studying? What's your thesis all about?

sonny - as for admissions decisions, when i applied (four years ago), i remember hearing back from them relatively early. i do know, though, that there have been some significant (and very recent) changes in the administrative staff in the department, so this might have something to do with the delay.

still, that's no excuse, and i think it's ridiculous to make you wait this long.

It seems they will wait until April 15 or something to make a decision...(April 15 is the deadline of universities). Their sluggishness is a huge turn-off...but oh well. I hope the Chairperson of the Dep't checks on this. First impressions do last...(I hope not). :)

guesty_guest, where are you working now?

Guest guesty guest

It seems they will wait until April 15 or something to make a decision...(April 15 is the deadline of universities). Their sluggishness is a huge turn-off...but oh well. I hope the Chairperson of the Dep't checks on this. First impressions do last...(I hope not). :)

guesty_guest, where are you working now?

i've made what may seem like a total switch...i'm doing sociology @ UCSF. the focus of the program is medical sociology or the sociology of health and illness (and, i like to add, healing). i've found my MA work to actually be quite useful, though.

sad1584, if it makes you feel better, my advisor hasn't responded to any email I've written since March 13. And the last time we met was on March 13th when he told me he'd send me some specific comments on my intro. I'm still waiting on those. Thankfully my sister is a good writer and she's helping me a lot with making arguments stronger. Also since she has no background in literature, she gives me a good idea of when I'm being too vague and stuff.

Sonny, I haven't looked into Miami's program in months. Like not since I applied on Jan 1. They were the first school I ever contacted about geography and they did call today to tell me I'd gotten in. I'm just worried that the stipend won't cover COL because coral gables is more expensive than tallahassee/athens/columbus. I will look into the program some more on early next week.

YAY FOR AAG! We can all meet each other!

I am particularly interested in issues within the nexus of migration, urbanization and development. Most of my recent researches have dealt with population deconcentration in Metro Manila and how such has shaped and created the Manila Mega-Urban Region. Basically, my dissertation will tackle this and, issues emanating from this broad topic (e.g. environmental impact of migration of metropolitan inhabitants; changing housing preferences). Since most of the literature have dealt with urban regions of the developed world, it is very interesting to see what are the dynamics taking place in third world settings like that of Manila MUR.

I cannot wait to start my Ph.D. and dissertation. I actually miss being a student. It has been 4 years since I was part of a class (as a student). Anyway, I am currently busy burning databases and base maps to CDs which will be used for my dissertation.

Do you know when and where the next AAG conference will be? Have you decided where to go for your Ph.D.? Kentucky? I think it is cool to include miscellaneous factors (e.g. probability of country music artists performing in the area) in your decision. I would have picked a city/town where 80s artists would frequently hold concerts (e.g. Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper). :)

I know where Lucena City is. It is the capital of Quezon province and is several kilometers south of Manila. Actually, my permanent residence is in a nearby province. Have you been to the Philippines?

-Sonny

Sounds like really interesting stuff. I was reading today in Antipode about the way in which the concentration of "development" in urban centres impacts on and often displaces the urban poor. For example, in Sao Paulo (and many other "third world" cities), the distances between the wealthy "transnational" elites and the majority is huge, both literally and metaphorically; the average commuting time for workers was 4 hours each way. So many interesting questions tied up in that.

I haven't been to the Philippines yet, but I've been working as a volunteer on a website for an NGO (HotCity Wireless) which provides free wireless access to disadvantaged Barangays in the areas around Lucena City. The founder of that charity is originally from that area -- and his family still lives there -- but he lives in Edison, New Jersey, USA. I think their work is fantastic, because for all the cliches, the digital divide is a real issue in a globalized world based increasingly on information rather than other kinds of production.

Yes, I've decided on Kentucky for my master's, and hopefully PhD thereafter. By the way, Duran Duran is/are from my home city (Birmingham, UK) -- one of its few claims to fame, along with the Bullring, canals and (cough) street crime.

Congratulations, Sonny, on making your decision -- I just looked at the faculty stuff on their website and, given your interests, it looks like you made a great choice.

---

Good luck with the dissertations :). And, Miami has to be appealing to anybody -- doesn't it? I mean Will Smith made it sound so cool 8) back before I became a country music bore c. 12 months ago.

:) Good luck to you on your thesis. Where are you studying? What's your thesis all about?

Thanks!

I go to the University of Arkansas - Fayetteville (my major is actually International Relations minor in Asian Studies). My thesis is about the low Japanese birthrate and how it relates to women and space. I'm looking into things such as urban migration, the home as a physical and cultural unit, and the work environment of women.

i've made what may seem like a total switch...i'm doing sociology @ UCSF. the focus of the program is medical sociology or the sociology of health and illness (and, i like to add, healing). i've found my MA work to actually be quite useful, though.

That sounds interesting. Geography also tackles topics like that (e.g. medical geography). I remember the former dean of our college ( a sociologist) telling our Department that she couldn't see the distinction between sociology and geography. LOL. :)

sad1584, if it makes you feel better, my advisor hasn't responded to any email I've written since March 13. And the last time we met was on March 13th when he told me he'd send me some specific comments on my intro. I'm still waiting on those. Thankfully my sister is a good writer and she's helping me a lot with making arguments stronger. Also since she has no background in literature, she gives me a good idea of when I'm being too vague and stuff.

Sonny, I haven't looked into Miami's program in months. Like not since I applied on Jan 1. They were the first school I ever contacted about geography and they did call today to tell me I'd gotten in. I'm just worried that the stipend won't cover COL because coral gables is more expensive than tallahassee/athens/columbus. I will look into the program some more on early next week.

YAY FOR AAG! We can all meet each other!

I really hope I wont experience problems like (again) when I do my dissertation. When I was doing my M.A., my adviser "shelved" my draft for 5 months! Also, I spent the whole night with her finishing the final draft which was supposed to be bound and submitted the following day. It was the worst time of my life (and I missed my GRE because of that).

I guess all of us are San Francisco-bound for the AAG conference. Maybe we can create a mailing list or something. :)

Britt, inform us on where you will be going to. The deadline is April 15, right? Let's make a summary of our placements after April 15. :)

-Sonny

That sounds interesting. Geography also tackles topics like that (e.g. medical geography). I remember the former dean of our college ( a sociologist) telling our Department that she couldn't see the distinction between sociology and geography. LOL. :)

I think the difference between sociology and geography is the frequency with which the word "space" (as a noun or a verb) is peppered into otherwise identical accounts. That, and the way geographers name-drop Foucault -- never having read him -- whether he's relevant to their question or not.

Talking of which, on the "medical" question -- Foucault, The Birth of the Clinic. An inherently geographical (i.e. spatial) account of power, discourse and their embodiment. I know there's various "geographical" research on spaces of therapy, alternative therapy, healing, etc. It doesn't interest me in the slightest, but each to his/her own!

Sounds like really interesting stuff. I was reading today in Antipode about the way in which the concentration of "development" in urban centres impacts on and often displaces the urban poor. For example, in Sao Paulo (and many other "third world" cities), the distances between the wealthy "transnational" elites and the majority is huge, both literally and metaphorically; the average commuting time for workers was 4 hours each way. So many interesting questions tied up in that.

I haven't been to the Philippines yet, but I've been working as a volunteer on a website for an NGO (HotCity Wireless) which provides free wireless access to disadvantaged Barangays in the areas around Lucena City. The founder of that charity is originally from that area -- and his family still lives there -- but he lives in Edison, New Jersey, USA. I think their work is fantastic, because for all the cliches, the digital divide is a real issue in a globalized world based increasingly on information rather than other kinds of production.

Yes, I've decided on Kentucky for my master's, and hopefully PhD thereafter. By the way, Duran Duran is/are from my home city (Birmingham, UK) -- one of its few claims to fame, along with the Bullring, canals and (cough) street crime.

I am interested to know how these barangays use wireless access service. Oftentimes, projects fail if the community doesnt really use it or there is nobody who is well-versed or well-trained in the technology being introduced.

LOL. It seems you are repelled by your home city. :)

Congratulations, Sonny, on making your decision -- I just looked at the faculty stuff on their website and, given your interests, it looks like you made a great choice.

---

Good luck with the dissertations :). And, Miami has to be appealing to anybody -- doesn't it? I mean Will Smith made it sound so cool 8) back before I became a country music bore c. 12 months ago.

Thanks! :) I am so excited to start schooling. Are there people here who will be teaching assistants? I was offered an associate instructor position and I am excited to interact with American students.

BTW, Kentucky is just south of Indiana. :) It will be interesting to plot on a map where all of us be starting our grad courses.

Thanks!

I go to the University of Arkansas - Fayetteville (my major is actually International Relations minor in Asian Studies). My thesis is about the low Japanese birthrate and how it relates to women and space. I'm looking into things such as urban migration, the home as a physical and cultural unit, and the work environment of women.

That's very interesting! When I was studying Demography, I was "choking" from studying too much fertility issues. That's why I went to migration which is an inherently geographic population process.

So what are your findings? :)

Thanks! :) I am so excited to start schooling. Are there people here who will be teaching assistants? I was offered an associate instructor position and I am excited to interact with American students.

BTW, Kentucky is just south of Indiana. :) It will be interesting to plot on a map where all of us be starting our grad courses.

haha, I'm glad you knew that! I'm sorry to admit that I had no idea where Kentucky was before I applied there; I thought it was further south to be honest... about where Tennessee is. It just shows though... all that exists of the US according to the British media is NYC, Washington, California and Disneyland, Florida.

I won't be a teaching assistant right away. I have a fellowship for the first year at least, but after that I'm not certain; either the fellowship renews or I will get an assistantship. So, are you looking forward to teaching (or operating the photcopier and grading exams maybe :()?

Personally, I'm glad I'm not a TA for the first year at least. 21 and trying to teach?! If it's anything like England -- where half the upper class ***** [nothing against the upper classes in general] take about 2 gap years -- most of the undergrads are probably older than that.

I am interested to know how these barangays use wireless access service. Oftentimes, projects fail if the community doesnt really use it or there is nobody who is well-versed or well-trained in the technology being introduced.

LOL. It seems you are repelled by your home city. :)

Sonny, I think you're right: the skills and training issues are central, and not just the infrastructure which is itself relatively inexpensive. It certainly needed the support of the local government, and access is based around the public library. The community section of their website explains how it is being implemented.

My home city has loads of good points. I just can't think of what they are :D

Sonny, I think you're right: the skills and training issues are central, and not just the infrastructure which is itself relatively inexpensive. It certainly needed the support of the local government, and access is based around the public library. The community section of their website explains how it is being implemented.

My home city has loads of good points. I just can't think of what they are :D

I will check on that site. :)

Well, that is reason enough to think that your city needs a fine geographer like you to transform the area...:)

haha, I'm glad you knew that! I'm sorry to admit that I had no idea where Kentucky was before I applied there; I thought it was further south to be honest... about where Tennessee is. It just shows though... all that exists of the US according to the British media is NYC, Washington, California and Disneyland, Florida.

I won't be a teaching assistant right away. I have a fellowship for the first year at least, but after that I'm not certain; either the fellowship renews or I will get an assistantship. So, are you looking forward to teaching (or operating the photcopier and grading exams maybe :()?

Personally, I'm glad I'm not a TA for the first year at least. 21 and trying to teach?! If it's anything like England -- where half the upper class ***** [nothing against the upper classes in general] take about 2 gap years -- most of the undergrads are probably older than that.

Yaiks...am I the oldest person here? (I am 25..turning 26 this May). I hope I won't have an undergrad student who is as old or older than me. When I started teaching 4 years ago, I remember encountering several students way older than me. I hope I will be teaching instead of being a photcopy operator. What is good about being a TA is that you have access to Dep't resources and that you will have your own faculty room. And you will have the chance to interact with professors. I think that is a big advantage. :)