made a mistake on the application...

modernity

so today after carefully checking my applications to make sure all content was there, and even using their checker to double check...i submitted my applications. As I was breathing a sigh of relief that the process was over and closed out my browser... I saw my writing sample document on my desktop and realized that I was never prompted, nor saw a space on either application for it. I thought that I would be prompted for it just like my SOP, but I was clearly wrong. So, I printed out copies for each school and rushed to the post office and had them sent by tomorrow at noon. Am I screwed or will this still get in in time to be considered on time with the application? I know they wait for all recommendations to come in for a couple of days, but what about writing samples?

They did, most programs don't...but mine does - its history after all. I am assuming they must have wanted it in the 'other documents: transcripts, languages,etc' area... it wasn't listed but that's the only place it could have gone. I have a photographic memory, and going back through it - there wasn't anywhere besides that.

I just started a new job this week where I as someone with only a BA have people with MA's and PhD's under me, and between the pressure of that and grad school applications.... I am losing my mind. :shock: :cry:

I did, I had it sent today and its guaranteed to be at both schools by noon tomorrow. I was just concerned about how it would look. I am a little annoyed that there was nowhere to just enter it in, and that it wasn't on the check list..but at the same time if I'm applying for grad school I should be intelligent enough to remember so there's really no excuse for it. Hopefully they don't think I am a total moron.

If it makes you feel better, I'm sure it's fine. I sent paper resumes and writing samples only because I disliked the forced online formatting. Since I did it intentionally, I am sure they won't mind/notice that you did it accidentally. :)

If there's no place for it on the online application, I really don't see how mailing it could make you look bad. A few of my schools asked for writing samples but didn't offer space to upload them, so I mailed them, and one of the schools didn't even have anywhere on the online app to put in the SoP, so I had to send that along too. Some schools have more sensible online apps than others....

A few of my schools asked for writing samples but didn't offer space to upload them, so I mailed them, and one of the schools didn't even have anywhere on the online app to put in the SoP, so I had to send that along too. Some schools have more sensible online apps than others....

Ditto. Some of my schools specifically said to upload the SoP online, for example, but MAIL the writing sample directly to the dept. Read the department website very carefully, you'll probably find out that you're fine.

I'm just hoping the lateness of my application doesn't change anything, since I was not aware they had to be mailed until the day of the deadline (yes I am a work-under-pressure sort so I was applying on the morning of the deadline). Apparently the way I worded things led to some confusion i do absolutely have to submit a writing sample to both of these programs - they both required it on their department website list, its just that most of the other programs at these universities did not require it. I've found that the vast majority of history programs ( I am applying for master's not PhD) that I have come across do require one, but this certainly may not be the case for all of them.

Regardless, they made it their before noon today, so I don't think anyone other than the admissions secretary will be wise to the fact that they didn't appear until the next morning. Unless the committee was feeling particularly excited about diving into the admissions and started late last night. :)

I was in a situation similar to yours with my app for Indiana. They requried a writing sample. I filled out all the stuff on the internet application and realized that there was no space to upload the sample.

I called the graduate secretary, and she said that they usually want writing samples to be shipped via snail mail to save on the costs of printing out hundreds of them. But since it was the due-date, she told me I could just e-mail it to her and that she'd print it out and put in my file for me.

Maybe you could have saved the $16.50 for overnight.