Dear all,

I won't beat around the bush. I'm looking for advice, and browsers who have the time or inclination to respond will be received with great alacrity.

I graduated in architecture (1st class hons, equivalent of magna cum laude, sorry for the Brit-speak!) from Cambridge in 2010. But since then decided that I want to pursue PhD studies in Comparative Literature (not as random as it looks, I've always been extremely literary). I am Chinese and therefore very interested in a comparative stance through the perspective of literature.

My great anxiety, foreseeable no doubt, is my lack of formal training. Is there any chance on earth that I will be considered, let alone taken onto a PhD programme, with this, parlous state of affairs?

I'm not being as presumptuous as it may perhaps appear so far...(please hear me out!) As I've actually always wanted to study literature, and thus have always sustained literary pursuits. My third year dissertation focusing on 'place' in the novel, was recommended by my supervisor for publication.

The tentative proposals I have sent to North American Universities has been well received. One professor at a top university said that she read my proposal with 'interest and admiration for its richness and breadth of scope', and several other professors have said they are very interest and encouraged me to apply.

I'm bilingual in Chinese and English. Reading ability in Classical Chinese. Also reading ability in French and Spanish to first year Undergraduate level.

So enough boasting, here's the BUT.

BUT as I'm sure you all know, it's not your supervisor who ultimately makes the decision. The one director of postgraduate studies that I have spoken to, has stressed my lack of formal training...

So because I'm depressed and at my wit's end, I open my dilemma to the floor, presuming there's anyone remotely interested. What to do? Do I tantrum my way onto a comparative literature master for this year (and spend a heap of money)? Do I pursue my own studies at home and hope for the best come application cycle? Is there anyone willing to share relevant experience in this field (i.e. phd with only BA; changing subject areas)

My gratitude for your forbearance. And the very best of luck for all your own pursuits.

If people think you lack formal training in Comparative Literatre - prove to them that you have the training! You're required to submit writing samples no? Do some comparative literature then! Try to get a piece published - on any topic - just to show that you know your stuff. If your BA doesn't match up with your PhD area, MAKE IT. Show some way how your study of techniques in Architecture can apply to Comp Lit.

Do you have UK residency, or are you an international student there?

I ask because the normal UK route would be to do a Master's degree before the PhD anyway, and since they are only one year there (rather than the usual 2 yrs elsewhere) it could be a good idea to do a Comp Lit MA (UCL has one) there and then apply to PhD programs in the States. If you're an international student there, though, the cost may be prohibitive.

What IS your proposal? - if it focuses on space and place, I actually think your architecture background could be an advantage (as long as your literary skills are up to par with the rest of the applicant pool - as evidenced by a great statement of purpose and writing sample), particularly as many Comp Lit departments are interdisciplinary by nature and are very welcoming of outside theory etc. If your planned work has hardly anything to do with issues of space then I think you'll have a pretty tough job to articulate your intellectual preparedness and path thus far in an adequately convincing manner in your statement of purpose....

I'm a space and place person - PM me if you want to chat further.

I would recommend applying into a MA/PhD track course, or doing a MA then applying for a PhD program. The lack of formal training will more than likely be looked at negatively. Not saying that you are not capable, but most programs require certain number of English courses to have been taken for acceptance. If you do not have those going into a MA program, you may just be required to take a few additional courses. There were several people in my program that came in with a BA in Communications and English minor. I think they were required to take 2 additional courses to suppliment the lack of BA training. It would also be dependent on where you were wanting to apply (country, school ranking, etc.).

Hey thanks so much for the response everyone, it's really appreciated! ^_^

I think doing an MA in literature is the most sensible course of action to take. And I'm unless I have major bureaucratic hurdles, I have managed to get myself onto a literature MA course here in England. So hopefully I can lay that specter to rest.

How about language training though. Obviously I have Chinese, but does anyone know what 'a command/reading ability' of another two languages mean? i.e. being able to read the original Don Quixote without a dictionary? As that will take me more than a few years to say that least...!

• 3 weeks later...

For Comp Lit, usually they expect one language excluding your native language to a high degree of fluency, i.e. capacity to carry out advanced postgrad work in. In your case you native language is Chinese, and yes they do normally accept English as as your "foreign language" if it's not your native language. But most of the top programmes want, or at least strongly recommend, a second foreign language, at a somewhat lower, but still quite high, level, usually termed "reading knowledge". Reading knowledge means that you can read with relative ease in the language with the help of a dictionary (if you are looking up every second word however that isn't a proper reading knowledge!). So no it doesn't mean that you can read Don Quixote or Montaigne without any help from a dictionary; that level is fluency or near-fluency. And normally you'll need to learn a third foreign language (often has to be ancient or non-Indo-European) over the course of your postgrad studies (but not for admission).

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...