How many LORs?

LLajax

Most of the programs I'm applying to ask for three LORs, but some only ask for two. Do you think this is a minimum? Should I send them three (for some totally unfounded reason, I thought three was standard)? I had a professor offer to be an "extra" fourth recommender, so I'm wondering if it is commonplace (commonplace enough that she offered) to submit more recommendations than the minimum. What to do?

Many online applications will not allow more than 3 letter writers. Literally -- you cannot input more information beyond those 3 (or 2, or whatever the requirement is). That said, while some departments do explicitly say not to submit more letters, you could potentially contact an admissions person and ask if their actual policy is different, and if 4 LORs are permissible.

I asked the schools I applied to- 2 said that they would not accept any over the required letters, one other school said they would accept and read a 4th. Check with each school you're interested in.

I think the general opinion would side on "give them what they ask for", but it never hurts to ask.

I'm particularly keen on this recommendation (from the professor who has failed to reply to me) because he is both alumni and current adjunct at one of the prominent universities I am applying to.