PhD neuroscience

amj24

Hi, I have completed MS in Bio medical Engineering and B.E in Electrical & Electronics Engineering in India. I must confess that though I have studied so much, i lack the practical knowledge in both fields and have not proved to be a top class engineer.

I took up B.E in EEE not because of genuine interest but because I scored well in the state entrance exam and received this allotment. As for Biomedical, well here's the story. I developed an interest towards Biology and health care after grade 10 and once i completed B.E. I chose to pursue something in the same line. However, I took up this course in a "not so great" university that was at its infant stages in this field. Hence, I did not receive any substantial research experience. On the other hand,the only subject that interested me a lot was Neural Engineering. I developed passion for this subject since I loved learning about it and to add to that, I have had this desire to help special children since the age of 7. Also, my grandmother suffered from Alzheimer's giving me all the reasons to be inquisitive. Now that I am done with my Masters, I am not sure what next. I was thinking of taking up a PhD program in Neuroscience. However, I lack any sort of practical exposure or laboratory experience to this field and the only knowledge I received is mainly about the anatomy physiology of the nervous system and a few neuronal implants. I need advice as to how I can proceed further to develop this interest. Should i take up a PhD program or is there any alternate course that is suitable for me? Please help

With no research experience, I think you would be hard pressed to get into a PhD program in neuroscience.

You might try doing a masters in Neuroscience, to get yourself the background, and then carry it on to the PhD if it still interests you.