visit versus interview??

drpsych

Is there a difference between when they say Visit Day/Weekend versus Interview Day/Weekend? As in, for Visit Weekends, is it a "you're in as long as you don't act like a complete psycho" type of thing and for Interview Weekends, is it more competitive/"you're up against these people and they can take your spot if you aren't good enough" type of thing? Or are they the same and I read too much into these things? :)

Well, in my field we didn't have interviews and visits were more about the university trying to convince us to come. We spent the time talking with faculty about what they do, their interests, their mentoring style, etc. It wasn't an interrogation of any kind :)

As far as I know, in general, psych interviews are "you're really really mostly admitted"-- the rule I've heard is that if they're paying for your trip and travel expenses, the odds are WAY in your favor (like 90-100% acceptance rates). If they're not, it may be more of an interview. From what I've heard about the process, they're mostly just checking to make sure you and your potential lab mates won't butt heads, that your current PI didn't write your SOP for you, and that you have the grasp on the field that they think you do. As far as I know, visiting weekends are more or less the same. If you're getting an invite this early, that means you've likely made their "recruited" list. Be your best, but the ball's pretty much in your court. Of course, this is assuming that social psych works the same way as cognitive and developmental programs do.

Congrats!

I feel like if you've been accepted to the school they should make that pretty clear. I was accepted to a school that has a "Visitors Weekend" and the email was mostly "Congratulations, you've been accepted, oh and we hope you will come to our Visitors Weekend," so if you didn't get anything like that I'm guessing you haven't been outright accepted.

However, as others have pointed out, you may be *practically* in.

Congrats!!